fighting drakes - old pals with plenty of girls.

toadbriar

Songster
9 Years
Jan 28, 2010
central massacheezits
So two drakes, Blicket and Podge were going at it today, chasing, neck wrestling, pinching each other, all day on the pond. There are 14 girls and one teenage drake in addition to these two, so I don't think enouygh female companionship is a problem. Nothing in their routine has changed, but they were fighting all day. Blick seems to be the instigator, but he's also the one looking worst, muddy and rumpled with down missing from his neck. I've pinned them both to the ground several times, but they're at each other again as soon as my back is turned. The geese are flustered. The two boys were chasing each other back and forth all over the pond today. It's continued in the night pen. They're 1 and 2 years old and this is a first for them.

I DO know I need to expand their night pen, and my hardware cloth has been on backorder. (I'm going to Agway tomorrow to see if I can fill the footage from what they've got in store.) The flock ran short of feed LATE last night (bottom of bag), but that got replaced today and no one rushed the feed trough starving. The girls haven't come back to laying from moult, but they are going crazy with the headbobbing and wanting to mate their sexy warriors
roll.png

So what's the deal?

Some drakes may just never get along. I had a muscovy drake and a runner drake that would not stop fighting. Eventually I had to rehome the muscovy drake.

Back
Top Bottom