Fighting Drakes

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by salemtucker, Aug 19, 2016.

1. salemtucker

salemtucker Out Of The Brooder

Oct 22, 2015
    Central Missouri
    I bought two Peking Drake's from someone about 2 weeks ago. I went today and picked up 1 more Peking Drake from the same lady today. All 3 are 4 months old and they have been together their whole lives (minus the last 2 weeks). I put them together and, at first, they all seemed very excited and happy to see each other again, but then they started grabbing the feathers on each other's necks and mounting each other. It was literally a pile of 3 ducks. No one is picking on anyone specifically; they are sharing the fighting equally. I have never had ducks before, so I don't know what to do. Please help!!!!!!

2. cjperrault1

cjperrault1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2016
    Beaumont texas
    You sure there drakes 2 could be females send pictures

3. Cherib603

Cherib603 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2016
    New Hampshire
    They are just establishing a pecking order

4. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

That is not fighting, it sounds like breeding. Drakes and hens fight by neck tying and chest bumping.
    I have a Call Drake who only breeds my Welsh Drake, The Welsh Drake breeds all the females.
    As long as it is not causing injury or disturbing you? They will be fine...Do not add a lone hen into the mix or they will gang up on her.

5. salemtucker

Oct 22, 2015
    Central Missouri
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I think it was pecking order because they are thick as thieves now.

6. lovemy mallards

lovemy mallards Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2015
    MARION COUNTY TN
    they look like males to me they have all have the curled up tail feather.

7. salemtucker

Oct 22, 2015
    Central Missouri
    Yes, and I have absolutely no desire to get a female, so will they be ok being bachelor's together when they are sexually mature? They are in with 6 chickens, all hens, as well. "The Girls" will stand up for themselves too, so I am not worried yet and the ducks could care less about them right now.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2016
  8. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    When they reach sexual maturity, drakes generally become very sexually aggressive. Sometimes they get along, and sometimes they very aggressively try to breed one another. Have a 'plan B' just in case that happens. They may start trying to breed your hens. If that happens they must be separated from the chicken hens. Drakes have a penis - roosters do not. Drakes breeding chicken hens can injure and even kill them.

9. salemtucker

Oct 22, 2015
    Central Missouri

Thank you for the information. I hope they leave the girls alone and stay friends because they are so funny and sweet. Plan B is Aromatic Duck.

10. salemtucker

Oct 22, 2015
    Central Missouri

Ok so they were not getting along with each other for as long as I hoped. 2 are ganging up on 1, so that the one is now scared of the other 2. If I got rid of one of the 2, would that change things? I really like the one that is being picked on; he is very friendly and sweet and I would prefer not to get rid of him. Please help!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by