1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Fighting for roost space every night

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by denco5, Dec 17, 2010.

1. denco5

denco5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2010
    Ocoee Florida
    I have 12 chickens that fight like crazy every night for the best roost space, is this normal? They are 15 weeks old and have been on the same roost the whole time. It seems the fighting and arguing is getting worse.

Any ideas?

2. oldchickenlady

oldchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    Cabot, AR
    How big is your roost? I have 12 chickens and 8 feet of roost and it isnt enough. 2 or 3 will roost on the roost support boards and 2 or 3 roost outside in the run up on a second level I built for them. That spreads them out enough where there is no fighting, but I really need to extend the roost around the other wall.

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Not trying to be a smart aleck, at all, but... close the door and walk away.

No one drawing blood? Let them figure it out. My older birds are nearly 3 years old. Still have a couple girls that argue over who gets to sleep next to the roo that night.

It's what chickens do.

4. denco5

denco5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2010
    Ocoee Florida
    The roost is 8 feet long, it s a 2 x 4. They all fit just fine, matter a fact they all fit on half of it, they are not full grown yet . It seems that being next to the wall is the place they all are try to get to.

And yes i do walk away I just thought I would ask if it is normal

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Absolutely normal. [​IMG]

6. Knock Kneed Hen

Knock Kneed Hen California Dream'in Chickens

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    Mine do this (they have plenty of roost space) and it drives me nuts. I really wish they'd just pick a spot and stay there!!

Yep, just walk away. It's normal and irritating.

7. Kaceyx73

Kaceyx73 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2010
    Yeah, like everyone else has said, its perfectly normal chicken behavior. I have 2 nice sized roosters and 11 pullets in a 4x6 coop with 2x4 roosts all the way around the inside, plus the middle roost mid height so they can get to the upper ones. Thats right at 2 sqft per bird, with more than enough roosting space for twice that number. Yeah, you guessed it... they still fight over the choice spots which moves every night. As long as no one is getting really mean or hurt, open the door an laugh your you know what off. Thats what I do. The big rooster kept chasing one of the girls away one night... pecks to the head, the wings, shoves, and she wouldn't take no for an answer. His answer? He bit her foot and held on, then raised up flipping her off!!! Once you realize its part of the pecking/roosting order thing, just laugh. Better than WWE or MMA.

[​IMG]

Did I mention I have two roosters? Their much expanded run is complete, now its time to work on a new coop. Maybe a detached nest box.... Hmmm.

8. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Mine tend to do that more during their adolescence, when they are deciding who's going to be boss. I don't see that as much when they're older.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by