Fighting Hens

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickie<3, Jan 15, 2011.

1. chickie<3

chickie<3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    I have 5 32 week old hens...they all got along great...today i saw to going at it...I went out to break it up and there was blood on their combs..one worse than the other..I put flour on the cuts to stop the bleeding and hopefully the others wont start pecking...i put 1 in the coop and closed the door...but in about 1/2 hour they will all b ready to go in for the night...will they b ok in the coop...will this continue or could it be a one time thing?

2. chickie<3

chickie<3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    What will tomorrow bring...will they get up and act like nothing happened yesterday...or will they continue where they left off??? ugh..why cant the all just get along?

3. crj

crj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    They may be over crowded. Can you free range your hens? That would help a great deal. They may need more space between them. Are you sure you don't have any roosters?

4. tammye

tammye Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    NH
    I also am having an issue with fighting which started yesterday, even between two hens that were friends! I think it is because we live in cold climates and they are getting on each others nerves. So, first a small coop could be the problem, throw some of their feed into their shaving on the ground so they have something to scratch for, a small head of cabbage, hanging or on the floor will give them something to peck at besides each other, put a bail of hay in the coop for them to scratch in and move around, mine love that, keeps them busy until they spread it all around

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by