1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Fighting Hens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Big Zo, Dec 16, 2013.

1. Big Zo

Big Zo New Egg

Mar 26, 2013
    I have two hens that starting fighting two days ago. One hen(Thelma) would peck the other hen(Emily) when my GF was hand feeding them snacks. It progressively got worse as the hen who was pecking stopped laying eggs as the one being picked on starting laying eggs. So as i was saying, the Emily being picked finally had enough a kicked Thelmas *** haha. Not funny. We thought that would be end of story but its seems Thelma wants her rank back. We currently have them separated so to be continued. I guess the question would be are we doing the right thing? and for how long? What if they dont reconcile?

2. Fawn and Fam

Fawn and Fam Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2013
    Sorry I don't have answers to your specific questions. However I've learned through my own experience that when a hen's egg cycle ends due to declining light they start to molt. When they are molting they can get very temperamental and start pecking others. Has she started molting? If not maybe she will very soon and when that is over her personality will go back to normal. You could give them artificial light (light bulb on a timer to extend the daylight hours) to start her egg cycle back up hopefully before she starts to molt.

3. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

You know most people think only roosters fight but as you have
    witnessed hens go at it also and I do need to agree with Fawn
    and Fam the extra light just might work but try to use a colored
    light as white light tends to make them peck each other ......
    separating [​IMG][​IMG] them should work and I would try 2 to 3
    day's to start and if this is not working extend the time some
    more but I have noticed with all my birds Geese, Ducks, Genies
    and Chickens that as winter closes in and the days get shorter
    that there is more discontent among them ..........

P.S. [​IMG]

gander007

4. Big Zo

Big Zo New Egg

Mar 26, 2013
    thank you Fawn! Thelma did stop molting and things are getting back to normal slowly but surely.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by