Fighting in established flock

Buffbrahmabantam

Chirping
Feb 8, 2019
Rimrock, WA
I saw some unusual behavior by my speckled Sussex hen today and would love input on how normal this is.

One hen (a Brahma bantam) that is third in the pecking order was dust bathing and a less dominant speckled Sussex (5th in pecking order) came from out of no where and jumped on the brahma’s back and started pecking her neck and feathers. I couldn’t believe my eyes. The brahma jumped up and ran off. About 15 minutes later, the speckled Sussex did it again! What the heck is going on? Is it just spring time hormones? Now the poor Brahma is walking around very nervously, and no wonder.

We got all birds as day old chicks. The Sussex is now 3 years old, the more dominant Brahma is 4 years old. They have free run of about 1/2 acre fenced yard.

We haven’t changed anything other than
1 - we got two rabbits, but they are not housed with the chickens, and
2 - last week we started them on corid after getting a fecal float done on the flock. The Sussex had a heavy parasite load from the fecal float, and she just now laid her first egg for the year. The others have been laying since February.

Its possible that one of the hens isnt feeling well and the other is picking up on it. Chickens will fake feeling well as long as possible to avoid being predated. Its a natural instinct (dogs do the same thing and I'm sure loads of other domesticated animals). Even though the Sussex had the high parasite load the Brahma might be acting different in some way you havent picked up on but the Sussex has. I would just keep an eye on them for now and if it gets out of hand separate the Sussex until she chills out. Its possible she's the one not feeling good and trying to assert herself because of it

We did separate the Sussex after the first attack and will do so tomorrow assuming this continues. The attacks are so vicious it is amazing to me. After years of quietly living together, these attacks seem completely uncalled for. The Brahma is a laid-back bird and tends to blend into the background most of the time.

There was a third attack yesterday evening before they went to roost. The Sussex jumped on the brahma’s back and started pecking her neck viciously, and pulling out feathers before the Brahma could get the Sussex off.

We are thinking about culling the Sussex if this continues, but that will be a very tough decision. She is a people friendly and people oriented chicken. However there is another chicken (silkie x Easter egger cross) we got about 16 months ago who has been frequently attacked by the Sussex. We haven’t done much about that situation because those attacks are at least explained by pecking order. Maybe this Sussex is just naturally aggressive?

We haven’t changed anything other than
1 - we got two rabbits, but they are not housed with the chickens, and
2 - last week we started them on corid after getting a fecal float done on the flock. The Sussex had a heavy parasite load from the fecal float, and she just now laid her first egg for the year. The others have been laying since February.

Changing health status could certainly cause birds to shake up their pecking order.

However there is another chicken (silkie x Easter egger cross) we got about 16 months ago who has been frequently attacked by the Sussex. We haven’t done much about that situation because those attacks are at least explained by pecking order. Maybe this Sussex is just naturally aggressive?

Do you have plenty of "clutter" in your setup to give hens refuges from bullying?

https://www.backyardchickens.com/posts/21588571

They have about 1/2 acre with lots of natural stuff - not like those photos but there are shrubs, trees, a pond, gardens (some fenced, some not). They do tend to congregate in areas, like at the house which is in the center of the area they have to roam.

The Sussex is like hunting her down. It is not casual. It reminds me of the times we’ve raised straight run chicks and when the roosters get old enough they will start stalking the hens who are lowest on the pecking order.

They have about 1/2 acre with lots of natural stuff - not like those photos but there are shrubs, trees, a pond, gardens (some fenced, some not). They do tend to congregate in areas, like at the house which is in the center of the area they have to roam.

The Sussex is like hunting her down. It is not casual. It reminds me of the times we’ve raised straight run chicks and when the roosters get old enough they will start stalking the hens who are lowest on the pecking order.

Very strange!

Back
Top Bottom