Fighting Mama Hens - What should I do?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by BoiseChik, May 2, 2016.

1. BoiseChik

BoiseChik Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2013
    Boise Idaho
    Hello, I have a flock of 15 hens that free range in a large fenced yard. I currently have two hens with baby chicks, and they keep attacking each other! They never fought before they had chicks, but now they go at each other like a couple of roosters. They have all the space in the world, but as they wander around with their babies, the fight when they encounter each other. I'm wondering why they are doing this and also if there is anything I can do. I'd like to continue to let each Mom/babies free range.

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    They are fighting because each perceives the other as a threat to her babies (rightfully so as some hens will gladly kill chicks of another, especially if she has chicks of her own) -- if their fighting is concerning you the only solution is to manage them so that they are separated from each other.

3. BoiseChik

Jul 11, 2013
    Boise Idaho
    Ok. I caught them fighting again and both had blood dripping off of their combs and waddles. Yikes!

4. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Separate them for now. When their chicks are independent, reintegrate them. It's best if they are physically separate but next to each other within view. I never have two broodies at once for this reason. Mary

5. BoiseChik

Jul 11, 2013
    Boise Idaho
    Ok thanks. :-]

6. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    Agree with the other two.Sone hens will literally theif chicks from other hens.This could be the reason why they fight.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by