Fighting, molting, or mites? What's wrong with my EE stags?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Miss Red, May 26, 2010.

1. Miss Red

Miss Red Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    Trinity, Texas
    I have two EE stags that are about six weeks old. I caught them because one of my adult game roo's was trying to get rid of them. Well today I noticed that they BOTH are missing all their feathers on the saddle regions of their backs [like an over used hen], the tops of their wings, and at the bases of their legs. The white/brown stag also is missing feathers around his face. It's not just the missing feathers that worries me, though, it's the very red and very irritated skin.

I only have my phone and it's not taking good enough pictures to even attempt to get pictures of that, so I hope it's helpful. I did not see any mites, and it's only those two.

Are they being bullied by the BA chicks?
    The ducks?
    Did the rooster do that and I'm just now noticing?

They're in a 50x50 run with two Giant Peking ducklings, 5 BA chicks, 1 EE chick, and 1 guinea. I do NOT think it's a space issue.... These chicks never pick on the week olders when I put them out in the run to stretch their wings. In fact, the ducks call the younger ducks over and the chicks go to the older chicks. Nothing in said run is over 6 weeks...

Thanks,
    Red

2. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    Sounds like mating injuries .. I won der if they are trying to mate eachother.. i had some that would do that.. i can only assume it is a domnition thing ..

3. Miss Red

Miss Red Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    Trinity, Texas
    That makes sense. I let the larger of the two out, he's circling the pen but no longer a threat. I caught him attacking one of my ducks... I think I'll grow him up for freezer camp if he keeps it up

4. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    Cat food is a great way to put the pounds on fast >> LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by