Fighting mummas

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Maisiepup, Sep 12, 2019.

1. Maisiepup

Maisiepup In the Brooder

Sep 9, 2019
    Scottish Borders uk
    I have one mumma barnvelder with her 6 week old chicks and a new mumma barnvelder with her week old chicks. All our hens free range but they fight all the time. Any advice would be appreciated.

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Great Horny Toads

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Unfortunately that happens. They generally work it out after a bit. I generally let them fight it out while I supervise. If it gets to be too much I put one momma in a pen.

Maisiepup, Quackter and sourland like this.
  3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    :welcome Monitor and if necessary separate - sometimes the chicks inadvertently get hurt.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2019
  4. Maisiepup

Maisiepup In the Brooder

Sep 9, 2019
    Scottish Borders uk
    That's what I did.. put the new mumma back in the broody coop.. will try them again tomorrow when I finish work. Good excuse to sit with a cuppa and chick watch

5. centrarchid

centrarchid Free Ranging

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    What can be done is to provide cover patches, each with its own little feeding station. I also make so roosting areas are at least 10 feet apart. I often make so there is a feeding station per broody hen. Knowledge of acreage is also helpful. I am running two broody hens on about 2 acres currently. I make so feeding areas are at least 100 feet apart. During most of the day they are more than 100 feet apart while foraging except when I appear with feed bucket.

Maisiepup likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: