Fighting or playing??

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by gabybarcelo, Nov 8, 2014.

1. gabybarcelo

gabybarcelo New Egg

Nov 8, 2014
    i have 2 new baby chicks which I got yesterday outside of my school. Um so they are picking eachothers feet and beak...[​IMG]

2. urban sunshine

urban sunshine Out Of The Brooder

Nov 8, 2014
    New England
    I bet they are fighting [​IMG] but maybe they have food on them???? [​IMG] im not quite sure... they are very cute tho[​IMG]

3. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    That's typical behavior. They are exploring and tasting their world. They are ready for a pie plate of dirt to scratch and play in.

1 person likes this.
  4. christine9

christine9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2013
    South Carolina
    They are just learning what's what. There's no way to know what something is until you peck at it first. It's also possible they are working out who is the dominant one, but still very typical behavior.

5. islandgirl82

islandgirl82 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2014
    Maine
    x2

6. mymilliefleur

mymilliefleur Keeper of the Flock

Nov 4, 2014
    East Tennessee.
    They are probably just mistaking each others shiny toes and beak for plump, tasty little worms.[​IMG]

Oh, and welcome to BYC!

[​IMG]

7. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Fighting can be caused because they are uncomfortable for some reason....hungry, thirsty, hot, cold, cramped in together, they are bored, etc...Make sure to keep them under a heat lamp, sprinkle food all around the floor of the brooder so they know how the find the feeder and dip everybodies beak in the water so they know where it is as well. Don't over heat them. Start your temp at 90 degrees or so. Do not cover the lid of the brooder with anything but a screen or wire. No solid covers on the brooder to allow for good heat and oxygen exchange. Give them things to do in the brooder....a low box with dried leaves, dirt, alfalfa leaves, chick starter...something they can scratch around in and burn up energy. If it is a nice day, get them outside for 10 mins. Chicks need things to do.

Check out this article on raising baby chicks...https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/...ks-the-first-60-days-of-raising-baby-chickens

Good luck with your chicks and welcome to our flock!

8. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] good luck with your chicks.

9. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

They are too young to be fighting for dominance. Young, young chicks will often peck at each other's feet, beaks and even eyes just trying to figure out what is food and what isn't. So I would guess that is what they are doing now. But if they continue hurting each other then you'll need to separate them. Like Two Crows said, always make sure they have food and water.

Good luck!

10. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by