1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

fighting over catfood!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Carole AM, Mar 6, 2007.

1. Carole AM

Carole AM Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2007
    Goshen, Indiana
    My poor cats don't stand a chance! This always happens when I go do chores. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's always Trevor (the OEGB) and the chanteclers! Did ya ever pull a hen out of your feeedsack?

2. eichenluft

eichenluft Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2007
    My chickens go GA-GA over the barn cats' food. I have to fill their dish at night when the chickens are roosting/sleeping or they won't get any. What gets me, is the cat food is made from - CHICKEN!!!! LOLOLOLOL. But I read that it's good protein for the chickens - in the summer I guess they can get their good protein by eating the bugs and dead critters they find (yeah they fight over mice and other things that I hit with my lawn mower). I mix cat food into their feed, they LOVE it!!!

molly

3. Freebie

Freebie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2007
    Bloomingdale, MI
    I also feed a couple handfulls of catfood now. One day it was so funny, Jack was eating out of the food dish with the cat and the cat got a little to close so Jack pecked her in the head, the next day, I threw some food out on the ground for the chickens and the cat came over and started eating the chicken food. I just about lost it. That cat was just a chowing on the chicken food with the chickens.

4. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

[​IMG]
    My chickens would mob a cat for it's food. They go nuts over canned food! They aren't too keen on the dried, though.

5. Carole AM

Jan 12, 2007
    Goshen, Indiana
    Remember the movie "the BIRDS?" Thats how I feel when I get mobbed! Thank God the turkeys don't fly up to land on me!

6. Ricochet Ranch

Ricochet Ranch Rest in Peace 1957-2007

Jan 11, 2007
    I have this image at Carole's house at feeding time:

John Belushi has reincarnated as a Chantecler- TOGA PARTY!!! FOOD FIGHT!!![​IMG][​IMG]

Man, I love pics of your OEG Trevor-so handsome!!! Nice job Carole!
    Peace, Penny

Last edited: Mar 7, 2007
  7. Carole AM

Jan 12, 2007
    Goshen, Indiana
    You shoulda seen Alex (the Chantecler) when I gave them some cauliflower! it was hilarious! he was running around the barn, trying to find a safe spot to eat it. The girls wouldn't leave him alone! It was a hoot. [​IMG]

pix to come...

8. Carole AM

Jan 12, 2007
    Goshen, Indiana
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I just kept snapping away! I was laughing so hard its a wonder the pics turned out!

9. momof3

momof3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2007
    Iowa
    Carole I love the pictures. Chickens do the funniest things. My cats try to get the chickens treats but the hens won't let them. I have a cat that pats the hens before he gets pecked. He does occassionally get the hen that turns around and pecks him on the head.

10. keljonma

keljonma Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    8A East Texas
    Just a thought...
    If your chickens are fighting over the cat food, their protein intake may be too low. Check the sodium level in the cat food. Cats require a higher level sodium than your chickens do.

The canned is usually better (although these days, how can you tell?) and it won't cause crop impaction.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2007

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by