Fighting over nesting box how do I stop this?

chuckzoo

Songster
10 Years
Apr 20, 2009
Tuscaloosa, Alabama
I have a communal nesting box that measures 36" across and is 20" wide. The sides slope up on the wide side to form a peak so it is narrow on the sides. It has a small doorway off of the coop leading into the nesting box.

My two BR are 2years old and both went through a molt in the winter so they were not laying. The two Buff Rocks started laying late last year close to the time the other two started to molt so there was not much competion for the nesting box.

The problem now is that one of the Buffs wants to lay at the same time as one of the BRs. Daisy (the older BR) is now pecking Angelika (the buff) and has ripped ssome of the skin off her bottom!

I have tried putting another nesting box in the run but they won't use it (I have a fake egg in it).

How do I stop the abuse?

Please, I need suggestions.

Last edited:
Eat one? Sorry, couldn't resist... I know you want to do this to me --->
smack.gif

Seriously, It's way too early for me to worry about this since mine are only 5 weeks old, but this concerns me since I was told 4 nesting boxes should be enough for 10 hens. Four is all I have room for in my coop...this could prove interesting. I was wondering what would happen though if two hens did plan on laying at the same. I have seen pics of two hens in the same nesting box at the same time (apparently laying or sitting on one as calm as can be).

in the past I have always made it where they can't access the nest box they are fighting over. Let them get used to laying in the other boxes, and then open it back up.

Communal nest boxes never worked for me though. I would suggest making seperate nest boxes, hens like their privacy when laying.

Quote:
I wouldn't worry too much. I only have 4 nesting boxes and have 30 hens. Not every hen lays every day and they all lay at different times. True they do squabble once in awhile, but they get over it.

From many comments on here it's obvious they often use/squabble over one nest when others sit empty -- but I think this is the first time I've read of an injury resulting. I would remove or nail closed the communal box, myself, and provide something different, if only a couple of open top cardboard boxes or similar. Some of mine love to wallow out a hole in any loose hay lying around and use that.

Quote:
Yep, believe me the pictures you have seen are not of these two hens I am talking about!

The two BRs are best mates and the two buffs are friends but there is quite some rivalry between the BRs (one is particular) and the buffs.

I would not be too concerned, if yours are all the same age they should all be mates. I introduced the two younger hens at around 6 months of age (because I could not wait since I was going away for an extended trip overseas) and they both seem much more docile than the other two.

Back
Top Bottom