Fighting over Roost

lyndatu

Songster
12 Years
Nov 13, 2007
I put a low roost in the brooder and the chicks like roosting on it. But, we have a "bossy" chick. If she sees a chick roosting on the roost, she chirps loudly and stretches her neck. She pecks the foot of the roosting chicks until the chicks get off. The bossy chick, however, doesn't hop to the roost after that. She just doesn't want chicks on the roost if she isn't on it. The rest of the chicks seems to have a position: one is allowed to be with the bossy chick, two are just fine, like normal people's position, but has to respect the bossy chick. One has the lowest position, where the other chicks have the right to step on her when she's sleeping.

But, the roost, should I put another one? Thanks in advance!

Why not? Then everyone gets a place to sleep. Don't interfere with the "bossy" chicken unless someone's getting hurt, everyone will find their place in the pecking order eventually.

Sounds like a roo in the making!
idunno.gif

Not necessarily. Fat Tony and Jimmy the Beak, my orpington hens, run the show. They tell everyone where to sit, stand, eat, etc and even growl if one of the others gets out of line. It's obnoxious.

The best entertainment for us is to lock up the chickens and go around to the wndow side of the coop. There, we are treated to the squabbling, fighting, slapping of a good ol night time soap opera. The occasional SQUAWK-THUD, is just an added bonus.

it's just chickens being chickens.
Put in another roost away from the other one if possible. They will all figure it out, eventually.

Thanks for the replies!

I put on another roost but they're still getting used to it. I'm scared that the bossy chick might be a roo, because my mom and dad don't like roos and if they spot one they'll get rid of it as soon as possible. But still, thanks.

I pity the chick with the lowest position. If it's meal time the other chicks will prevent her from getting access to the feeder, so I try to feed her with my hand, but she refuses. She only gets the chance to eat when the others are asleep.

The bossy chick is bossier than ever. If she sees others asleep she(or he) will chirp violently until the others are awake. If I try to take pictures of them, she will chase the camera around.
barnie.gif

I don't know why, but I'm hoping she's a roo.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom