fighting over roosts

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by davecash, Sep 9, 2007.

1. davecash

davecash Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2007
    kaintucky
    all my new chickens fight over the roost posts.. is this normal?

2. WindyOaksYokes

WindyOaksYokes Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2007
    Central Virginia
    I had the same problem, what we ended up doing was putting up more roosts and it solved our problem. You might want to try doing that. As for it being normal behavior... "?" I don't know.

3. GoodEgg

GoodEgg Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    NW Florida
    My chickens are still young (14 weeks) but they have been raised together, and all have been in the coop for I think about a couple of months now and they STILL bicker and scuffle about every night over roost position.

Tonight it sounded like they were going to kill each other in there. [​IMG]

I wish they'd get over it. I can't figure out how to add any more roosts to my coop. When I asked about this before, I was told it was normal until they get everything worked out.

trish

4. barg

barg Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2007
    Mine bicker a little at night but nothing major.
    I don't know how youÂ’re set up exactly but, I set mine up so that they would all be at the same height, I think that eliminates some arguments, but they still quibble a little over, who gets the window seat.

5. bantymum

bantymum Chillin' With My Peeps

The head hen always gets the top!!!!and they settle in their positions after a while.

6. Southern28Chick

Southern28Chick Flew The Coop

Apr 16, 2007
    My roosts are horizonal so all the girls are at the same level. My roo sleeps on the ladder that goes up to the roosts. My girls will push and shove just for a bit then calm down and go to sleep. The reason mine fus is because they all want to sleep in the same area and they crowd each other. Even though there is plenty of room.

7. GoodEgg

GoodEgg Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    NW Florida
    Mine are just weird I think. There is enough room, and in the beginning they piled up in a few spots. Now they all spread out, but they still shove each other off and climb on each other's backs.

Well, except actually by the sides ... that is a more popular spot than the middle for a lot of the birds. There are 4 "window seats" in my coop. Maybe I'll add another roost stretched completely across the back to give another 6' or so of "window space" but if I do it will have to be 2" higher than the other roosts so I might be inviting MORE trouble.

I don't think mine have their pecking order worked out well yet. There are about half a dozen pullets that are obviously higher "up there" but it shuffles around without a clear #1. And another half dozen or so that are clear "low men" but sometimes these will be the ones knocking someone else off a roost.

Chickens are weird. [​IMG] But endlessly fascinating!

trish

8. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    Our nine hens and one roo have 5'x6ft. (cross in shape of L in SE corner) of 2"x4". Excepting the roo- roosts off by himself, all girls growl, jostle and whine until they're happily piled into the shape of one big chicken where the 2"x4"'s cross - have to go in and count them by hand sometimes. One thing we've observed (baby monitor in coop) is that if they are particularly `happy'? they will chortle in unison. Pretty much the same behaviors over the past two and half years.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2007
  9. Galaxie_Man

Galaxie_Man Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:What a great idea!!! Wait until I tell my wife about putting a baby monitor in the coop [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by