Fighting quails

Discussion in 'Quail' started by 300hj, Dec 24, 2011.

1. 300hj

300hj Out Of The Brooder

Aug 12, 2011
    i have these 2 japanese quail that just wont quit fighting!
    Its always the female attacking the "male" (i know the attacker is female because i had to separate them before and it laid eggs. I'm also pretty sure the other one is a male but...). The female only attacks this specific male. when i had to put them apart, the female got along well with the 2 button quails i had with it. is there anything i can do?

2. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    I am confused.

So you have two Japanese aka Coturnix and then the button quail?

3. 300hj

300hj Out Of The Brooder

Aug 12, 2011
    yes sorry for the confusion

4. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    It seems like the female is an alpha. Maybe get more hens and a couple more roosters so she can be put in her place. Just a suggestion.

5. stephanie1992

stephanie1992 Chillin' With My Peeps

i have the same problem. the female keeps attacking the male. i moved them into a differnt cage to see if that helps since the female was by herself in her own cage when i introduced the male. hopfully they quit fighting

6. joe125

joe125 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    Quote:Make sure you mix them in a totally new pen to both of them. That way everyone is on new turf, and equally confused.

7. 300hj

300hj Out Of The Brooder

Aug 12, 2011
    i see! ok i might be able to get more soon then. I also heard before it could be their diet.
    i had them in the same cage before though and they never fought. then i noticed the male becoming more skittish and moved them both into a new cage, and thats when he began to be picked...bloody sometimes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by