1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

fighting roos

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by dennis k, Mar 5, 2013.

1. dennis k

dennis k New Egg

Feb 7, 2013
    sacramento california
    i have two rooster brothers who were inseparable until today,and now they wont stop fighting, what to do other than separate them, that will only loosen their bond and make it worse, i dont want to get rid of one but if that is the only way, so be it will blinders stop them from fighting?

Last edited: Mar 5, 2013
  2. texasbird4

texasbird4 New Egg

Mar 3, 2013
    Not sure on that one. I had 2 that wouldn't stop fighting and I tried seperating them for a while and they started right back at it. Ended up building two different runs and pens. Good luck with your roosters.

3. dennis k

dennis k New Egg

Feb 7, 2013
    sacramento california
    thanks for the info, it's sad i can go hunting and show absolutely no remorse, but one of my chickens gets hurt and i tear up like a girl

4. tmfineg

tmfineg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2012
    Gallatin TN
    How many girls do you have? It should be about 10/1 I have 11 hens and 2 roosters. all was fine until I separated them for 3 days. When I put them back together they went at it. My #1 roo got demoted, which was fine except the new top roo would not leave him alone. I felt really bad, but then I realized it would have probably happened sooner or later. I rehomed the one rooster, the new top roo. My daughter raised our original roo. He is now blind in one eye though. It has been over two weeks and I think he still can't see. He is fine otherwise. The hens are much happier. I never realized how much commotion. The one Roo caused.

Hopefully you have enough room or hens for both Roos. Seems a shame to have only one.

5. dennis k

dennis k New Egg

Feb 7, 2013
    sacramento california
    well, i finally got the twins to stop fighting, i kept getting up before they can out of they're roosting tree and when they flew down i drove the youngest twin and 2 of my other chickens, roo and hen, to my front yard, and left the aggressive older one in the back yard with the yard boss big DYNAMITE to put him in his place, and i would walk the three back to the roosting tree before dark and break up any fight they started, for some reason, sleepy time takes the aggression right out of them until their feet hit the ground the next mourning when it's time to duke again, separated them like this for six days put them together 7Th day and so far no big rumble, they square off at times,but no war as of yet,..cant wait till my chicks can run the yard in another month to keep their Lil minds busy, the Lil horny things

Last edited: Mar 16, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by