Fighting rooster

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by LaChicken84, Feb 5, 2017.

1. LaChicken84

LaChicken84 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 28, 2017
    So I acquired a new rooster yesterday..I had him separated from all the other chickens and the other rooster n a coupe by himself. My neighbor decides to let my chickens out while I'm at work. He lets the buff Cochin rooster out and the barnyard mix rooster jumps all over him. The buff is a good bit bigger than he is and some long spurs. If that buff knew how to fight that barnyard rooster would have been n trouble. My question is: will that rooster always want to fight like this or was he just trying to establish dominance? I'm not gonna deal with a aggressive rooster. He's never shown any towards me or anyone. I may let them out together one more time. We may be eating rooster real soon

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Hatchaholic Extrordinaire Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    They were probably just establishing the pecking order.

And I would have words with that neighbor. If a neighbor ever dared to let my birds out while I wasn't around and without permission that would already be a problem, but to also have let a bird out of quarantine and quite possibly have compromised my entire flock's health like your neighbor did? That is inexcusable.

3. LaChicken84

LaChicken84 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 28, 2017

I agree totally. I got the rooster from his dad yesterday. And he also helped me with my coupe that day. So maybe he thought he was doing me a favor by letting tbem out. I may have to lock the coupe if it's a reoccurring problem.

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    at the back of my mind is the inkling that your neighbor wanted to see a fight., and by letting them loose, he did! Just a thought, the mere sight of the two words "Fighting Rooster,"

get me very upset.!

1 person likes this.
  5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    PS roosters that grow up together may get along but adding a new one to the mix can be explosive.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by