Fighting roosters

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by fjgroomer, Dec 15, 2008.

1. fjgroomer

fjgroomer New Egg

Dec 15, 2008
    I have 2 roosters (one is approx 6 years and the other is about 1). Until recently they have been fine together but I found the younger rooster attacking my old boy today. There was blood everywhere and was very distressing. I tried everything to stop them but the younger one just kept going back for more. I eventually got hold of the younger boy and took him to a friends place until I could work out what to do. I live at one end of the street and my friend lives at the other end of the street. The rooster seemed fine at their house till dusk and suddenly I found him back in our yard. Has anyone ever heard of a rooster finding his way home. It was a fair distance that he travelled. How on earth did he manage to find his way home? Now I wondering if there is anyway of stopping the roosters fighting as it seems he likes living with us. Any suggestions to both questions. Thanks.
    [​IMG]:jumpy

2. nightshade

nightshade Chillin' With My Peeps

I currently have 17 roos at my place. Normally I have very little problem unless I bring some one new home and then they fight for a few days to regroup. I would suggest letting them work it out on their own. It could possibly be they are maturing enough to now want to establish a top roo. If it continues though I would get rid of the younger fellow all to together. Rehome him to someplace farther away.

3. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    what about two roos that are large and weigh about the same, and are the same age? I tried to let two of mine that I wanted penned together to "work it out" and I just couldn't take it after about five minutes. They just wouldn't quit, even though they were both exhausted. I have mixed and matched other roos, but usually one is bigger and one good thump to the chest and they are "over it" as far as trying to be boss. These two were equally matched and just would NOT let go of top spot, either one of them. I want them both, and for now have decided to just rotate them in the pen and the one on "off cycle" can be in a catch area between pens.

4. CK Chickadilly

CK Chickadilly Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2008
    West Michigan
    I have 2 SilkCo roos that like to fight but it never seems to serious even though they do draw blood, after a while they give up.

They did this again the other day & they both had blood on them but it didn't last long & they both stop.

I figure once the weather gets better I will have to get rid of a couple or few roos. Only solution unless they totally stop fighting.

5. Mrs.Puff

Mrs.Puff Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2008
    Southern Iowa
    I have a bunch of young roosters, plus two older ones, and they get along fine, but a couple of the youngsters were starting to really bother the hens. So two roos are now plucked and ready for roasting. If your old roo is 6 years old, you might consider "trading him in"for the younger one, since mr.oldy might not be very fertile anymore. That is, if you care about fertile eggs.

6. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    what breeds are they?

7. meriruka

meriruka Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    I wonder if there is a market for 'homing roosters' ?
    For those non-urgent messages... the pigeons can do the 'fedex' messages and you could charge a cheaper rate for the slower 'parcel post' type messages......

8. nnbreeder

nnbreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2008
    Oklahoma
    You will have to pen them seperatly, two seperate pens. If one is allowed to run loose they will fight through the wire and yes they can kill through chicken wire, chain link or woven wire.

9. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Chickens just down the street can find their coop again so that's probably why he's back. But sounds like your one year old roo is seeing something weak in your 6 year old roo and wants to take his spot.

Had this happen once, and the one year old rooster won the battles... the poor old roo from that day on, hid most of the day and was found dead soon there after. I think he lost his will to live after being beaten out of the top spot he had for his first 6-7 years of life.

10. fjgroomer

fjgroomer New Egg

Dec 15, 2008
    Hi, my roosters are Rhode Island Reds. Absolutely gorgeous. Love them both but if one has to go it will be the younger one. I love my old boy to bits and don't care if he is a good fertiliser. He is so sweet and gentle. He has a home with me for the rest of his life.

I have locked the young boy up today and let my old boy into the yard. Will have to alternate till I find a home. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by