Fighting Roosters...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Lach Cnoc Farm, May 3, 2009.

1. Lach Cnoc Farm

Lach Cnoc Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Western Washington
    I just moved my last banty roo into the banty pen. My little Mille boy, Hades, obviously has a deep, burning hatred for the cochin roo, PB. Hades was on him immediately. PB's always been able to hold his own in the layer pen so i wasn't too worried, but Hades just wont stop....

will he ever get bored with it and give up? I dont need to unhappy roos. [​IMG]

Hades will just have to go if this persists.

2. Freebie

Freebie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2007
    Bloomingdale, MI
    Does Hades (very nice name, my millie boy is Angus) have some hens of his own? Angus has 3 little hens and they live with the standards. I have never seen the roosters fight, but I have seen Chase, (the big rooster) correct little Angus. But they did grow up together too. So, I am not sure. Angus is way meaner than Chase. Angus goes after people, dogs, cats... whatever he wants too. Its a good thing he is protected by the fence, or he may have been a goner by now. One time Angus tried to posture toward me and Chase ran over an corrected Angus. It was interesting to watch.

3. Lach Cnoc Farm

Apr 16, 2009
    Western Washington
    Even while free ranging, before i moved them in together, Hades would try to beat up on PB. The have hens of their own, I think Hades may just be greedy..

my little cousin said he had creepy red eyes the first tiome she saw him, So we decided, if we were to show him he would be referred to as "Run of the Mille Hades" [​IMG]

He won reserve best in show (i think that's what she said) with his previous owner back in December i believe.

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    They may just be working out pecking order issues, deciding which one will be dominant. They don't care which hens you think they should have. The dominant rooster will make that decision for himself.

If no blood is drawn, I'd let them settle it. If blood is drawn, you have decisions to make.

5. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Like Ridge said, it`s a pecking order thing. Most bantams are feisty little devils and, like gamefowl, fight like there is no tomorrow, which unlike gamefowl, there usually is. My personal opinion is that nobody will stop until somebody submits (pecking order). And like Ridge said, if there isn`t blood, or much blood, the squabbles aren`t that serious and they will work it out.....Pop

6. Lach Cnoc Farm

Apr 16, 2009
    Western Washington
    Thanks everyone, I haven't checked on them today but there was almost no damage at all last night......[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by