Fighting roosters.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ChibiCrow, Dec 16, 2013.

1. ChibiCrow

ChibiCrow Out Of The Brooder

Dec 16, 2013
    Hi, I have 3 roosters, 2 are best friends, and one is a little polish rooster. The 2 have been pecking on my polish rooster. I separated them and it's been about 4 months, but there have been NO improvements. What should I do?

2. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    Roosters fight among themselves because of sexual jealousy meaning the desire to win access to hens.

Nothing short of caponizing two of your roosters except for allowing all three to duke it out once and for all, with all the danger to life and limb that that entails will make much impression on your roosters. The behavior you are witnessing is the normal and did I mention natural behavior for healthy roosters and nothing short of a sharp hatchet coupled with a blunt chopping block will make much impression on them. However there are things that can help.

You did not mention how many hens you have. Depending on the roosters age, the hens' reproductive status and the breed of rooster you need 20 to 60 hens actively laying so that each roo can feel he is in charge of his own harem. If you think that your roosters are bosom buddies think again, watch where, when, and how they roost. Any subordinate rooster will go to roost alone, go to roost later than the others, and voluntarily separate himself from the general flock because he has been cowed or beat down by his coop mates.

I have seen multiple adult American game roosters walked together, and in (almost) perfect free range harmony as long as each rooster had a core territory of at least 5 acres, with sufficient food, water, cover, loafing, and roosting sights, plus a hundred or two hens to occupy his time by trying to keep "his" hens from wondering into another roosters territory.

The pecking order is as much or more a part of a rooster's world as it is a hens'. As proof of this every day another new chicken keeper posts on this forum wanting to know how to make their hens or roosters play nice with each other. Often they mention that their smallest and most junior roo roosts alone. But just because you don't see blood or witness bloodshed is no proof that all is harmonious and peaceful in chicken Gotham.

3. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    x2. It's biology. Someone needs to be gone, maybe two someones, to restore peace and quality of life for all concerned. Or you need more larger pens to separate different groups. Mary

4. ChibiCrow

Dec 16, 2013
    I have about 40-30 hens. The 2 roosters's the hangout a lot with each other are about 2 years of age, and the polish rooster is about 3 years. I think the only reason why they hangout together is because one of the roosters, Chibi, is clumsy and NEVER is able to catch a hen to mate with. Then the Polish mates normally. Thank you for taking your time to respond to my thread.

5. ChibiCrow

Dec 16, 2013
    Well I think I'll just separate them and make sure there's an even amount of hens/water/food in each pen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by