Fighting Silkie hens

RetiredRN

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 18, 2013
I have two Silkie hens and 8 large hens (Buff Orpington, Barred Rock, Sex-linked) - one of my Silkies went broody several weeks ago and I got 4 fertilized Silkie eggs from a neighbor and 4 chicks hatched a week ago. The Silkie Mom and chicks are in a separate pen from the others. Somehow, the other Silkie hen can get into the pen and immediately wants to fight the Silkie Mom. So far she hasn't shown any aggression to the chicks but she really goes after their Mom. I want to be able to let the Mom and chicks stay out in their pen (too large to cover) but I can't babysit the whole time in case the other Silkie gets in. Any suggestions? My plan with the separate area was to keep all of the Silkies separated from the big Hens. The big hens pick on the Silkie hen (esp. in the coop at night) but if she continues to act aggressive to the Mom and chicks, she will have to stay with them.
Is there any way to get the one Silkie to stop trying to fight the Silkie Mom?

My silkies did this too! For a couple of days the non-mom was attacking the mom and it was getting bloody. We ended up putting the mean one in a small cage in the chicken yard for a couple of hours to calm down, and that seemed to work. Good luck!

My silkies did this too! For a couple of days the non-mom was attacking the mom and it was getting bloody. We ended up putting the mean one in a small cage in the chicken yard for a couple of hours to calm down, and that seemed to work. Good luck!

Thank you for replying. I'll try this!

Back
Top Bottom