Fighting Silkies

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bart40330, Dec 28, 2008.

1. bart40330

bart40330 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 27, 2008
    Harrodsburg KY
    How do you all think a white silkie rooster would do against a Mexican fighting cock? [​IMG]

But seriously. My two big male silkies started going at it today for some reason. It looked like two Ompa Loompas fighting, but still I don't want that. They blooded each other's heads up pretty good before they got tired.

Is there an easy way to get roosters from fighting each other? Will they stop and get along when dominance is established.

2. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    Space might be an issue, as well as number of females. How big is your space and how many hens? Can you put them in separate pens?

3. bart40330

bart40330 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 27, 2008
    Harrodsburg KY
    Well, they have 1.65 acres to run on, and they are confined in a 6' square at night or on bad days. This started while they were outside.

I have five hens.

4. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    Not an expert, but i thought i read that you want 10-12 hens per rooster. You may want to rehome one of those boys.

5. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

One of the boys probably has to find a new home. They may or may not stop fighting over the girls.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by