Fighting the urge

Discussion in 'Quail' started by jack & mommy's duckies, Dec 30, 2010.

1. jack & mommy's duckies

jack & mommy's duckies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2010
    My buttons have been laying and laying......and I've been eating and let them eat the eggs. And right now i'm fighting turning my incubator on to hatch some out. Some days I wish I had a small bator not just my big sports man. ughhhhh what to do what to do

2. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    Uh..hatch them?

Like we all here have ANY restraint. [​IMG]

3. SilverPhoenix

SilverPhoenix Bantam Fanatic

Dec 15, 2009
    Penn Valley, CA
    I know quite well how tempting it is, but don't hatch anything you can't house and don't truly want! Otherwise you'll just have birds everywhere and no real plan of what to do about it. [​IMG] Are there breeds of poultry you want and want to have space for? That's a good reason not to hatch more of what you've already got.

Good luck fighting the temptation. I think most of us have been there, and many of us did not win the fight. [​IMG]

4. jack & mommy's duckies

Jan 24, 2010
    They are just button quail...so easy to hatch and easy to house. I use the rubber maid drawer units with a bunch of holes drilled in them. easy to clean easy to store and everyone is safe. As for the urge.........I think I may have lost the battle. I turned it on "just to make sure it is running well before I place my order of supplies next week, and I need to get it running on the waffer" but I have yet to put any eggs in it [​IMG]

5. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    [​IMG]

6. Rozzie

Rozzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Just button quail...poor babies!

Mine have pet taxis. [​IMG] Spoiled rotten button quail...

7. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    Quote:oh thank goodness you reminded me Rozzie, I need to post and ad for a free/cheap dog crate!

8. Rozzie

Rozzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Make sure to get one with solid sides. If the openings on the door are too big you'll need to put a finer mesh over it.

If you get a wire sided dog crate, you'll need to take some sort of mesh or screening and "sew" it onto it. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy has an example here somewhere of a rabbit cage that she did that way. I'm far too lazy to do that so look for cages I don't have to modify that much. [​IMG]

Check your local thrift stores & also check Craigslist.

I find them at thrift shops with minor damage for under $10 but they go for a LOT more on CL here (20-50 depending on size).

9. jack & mommy's duckies

Jan 24, 2010
    Here in Canada we have a thing called Kijiji it is a side line of ebay and all free. I find rabbits free to go homes on there with cages and supplies. Poor bunny goes to freezer camp and I have cages for my hachlings. You could always try that.

10. Terri O

Terri O Chillin' With My Peeps

That sounds like the same thing as Freecycle here in the states...just google it and you can find one in your area...lots of great free stuff! Terri O

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by