1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Fighting??????????????????/

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Che, Mar 4, 2012.

1. Che

Che Out Of The Brooder

Jul 4, 2011
    Kannapolis,NC
    I have to males going at it consently, but they have never fought before in the year that I have raised them and know they just keep fighting. I seperated both of them because both of them were bleeding, so I left one in the coop and I left the other one in a cage in my house.

Why do they keep fighting? How can I stop it so that they don't kill each other? Please let me know what to do any info is greatly appreciated.

2. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

It is completely normal for them to fight. This time of year testosterone levels are climbing and will only climb higher. They are fighting for breeding rights and territory. Roosters will fight to the death or until one backs down. It is best to separate them. Even roosters that have always got along will start fighting.

3. Che

Che Out Of The Brooder

Jul 4, 2011
    Kannapolis,NC

how long should i seperate them?

4. Che

Che Out Of The Brooder

Jul 4, 2011
    Kannapolis,NC
    they have beeen seperated for 48 hours is that enough

5. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

They will fight until someone backs down or can't fight anymore. So no matter how long you separate them, they will fight again till someone becomes top rooster. The best way to start a fight between once friendly roosters is to separate them for some time. They need to re-establish pecking order.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by