1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Fighting?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Rememberthedeer, Aug 8, 2013.

1. Rememberthedeer

Rememberthedeer Out Of The Brooder

Aug 8, 2013
    I have three pekin drakes. They are 5 months old. Will they start to fight each other as they mature? If so, when will I have to separate them?

2. HollyDuckFarmer

HollyDuckFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2012
    LP Michigan
    5months=20 weeks. I would think you would be seeing some fighting by now. Do you have any ducks? I have read that drake-only-flocks do work, so if you have zero females to fight over, well that might be the reason why you are not seeing fights. (Cant say for sure tho, because i have never had a drake-only flock). If they do start fighting, you will be shocked and surprised by the damage that they are capable of doing to each other, considering that they do not have teeth. ...So if you start seeing it, you'd be wise to separate right away. Here's hoping that they don't fight.

3. Rememberthedeer

Aug 8, 2013
    I only have drakes. I got a couple chicks in the spring and they all turned out to be boys, so next spring I'm going to try and get some females. Thanks for your advice, I'll try and watch for fighting.

4. duck4u

duck4u Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2013
    ''CHICKS''
    No No, male ducks are drakes, male chickens are roosters. A female duck is a duck-hen, a female chicken is a hen, the offspring of a duck is a duckling, the offspring of a chicken is called a chick..
    So do you have chickens or ducks?

Last edited: Aug 9, 2013
  5. Rememberthedeer

Aug 8, 2013
    I have ducks. And I got DUCKLINGS this spring and plan on getting more next spring. I also have quail, and I had them first so I'm still used to the term chicks.

6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Other BYC members have drake only flocks and don't seem to have problems as long as females aren't around, hope that will be the case for you, enjoy those boys. I love my drakes.

7. HollyDuckFarmer

HollyDuckFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2012
    LP Michigan
    Personally I think the idea of a drake-only flock is really really cool. My favorites have always been drakes. Come to think of it, my most friendlies and the first to approach me have always been drakes, too. If you have the space, you may even be able to keep your drake-only flock along with a separate female duck flock. And FWIW, I call my females "ducks"... And the drakes are obviously the males. I knew exactly what you meant, Rememberthedeer, no worries about that here.

1 person likes this.
  8. BickeringToast

BickeringToast Out Of The Brooder

Dec 14, 2012
    Jersey, GA
    My 4-pack of felons are a drake only pack. In their pen (20x20) and their yard (25x30) there really is not any fighting-although Niles, who seems to be leader of the pack, will often chase Daphne around. But they definitely all stick together! They are nearly 6 months old.

Now when they get in the 'pool of perversion', all bet are off...

Last edited: Aug 9, 2013
  9. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    [​IMG] Thank goodness no video on the "pool of perversion"

10. Rememberthedeer

Aug 8, 2013
    Thanks, you've been helpful. My three drakes are in the dog kennel... I don't really know the size but they tend to have plenty of space, and like yours, they tend to stick together, other than Arboc. He's my biggest one and he tends to wander on his own. I only have a car top carrier for a pool, and they tend to kick each other out of that a lot, it's quite a show really.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by