fighting

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by octavian, Aug 12, 2013.

1. octavian

octavian New Egg

Aug 12, 2013
    HELLO
    i have been slowly introducing my new drake with my two girls for the past 48 hours they have had direct contact for the past 24 and they will not stop aggressively bulling him!! is there anything i can do? is there a chance that this will not ever stop. is there a chance they will not ever except him ??

Last edited: Aug 12, 2013
  2. aquagolda

aquagolda Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2013
    New Jersey
    no let them attack him unless they actually give him a wound because this is normal its called the pecking order sometimes you think it will never stop but it will sooner or later

3. farmer boy

farmer boy Chillin' With My Peeps

i agree .. he will be fine being attacked unless it gets to bad .. its normal for this to happen ... this is why if i introduce a new bird to some others i usually have two of them its easier that way but it should settle down soon and if not then you might have to get rid of your drake .. is there a more of a mean female ??? or are they the same

4. aquagolda

Apr 27, 2013
    New Jersey
    maybe you can keep all your chickens but keep them seprerate any way take him out for a few days and try to introduce him again in the night that might work because them they don't see him right away and attack

5. octavian

octavian New Egg

Aug 12, 2013
    there is a top duck. but they are both doing it which surprised i thought it would have been the top duck only setting her dominance.

the girls are being worse. but i noticed when we first got him he walked a little funny. i think he may have hurt it when the drake from his old flock was beating him up badly. but now it is a lot worse. sometimes he just lays there and the girls take advantage of picking on him. but just worried about him, as today we went to check his leg and he ran away but it got so painful for him he just laid down and gave up. and he sometimes using his wings to keep his balance so i think the girls see this as him challenging them because he is making himself bog.

would it be best to separate him while he rests his leg but still be visible to each other or just keep them together still.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2013
  6. leanback

leanback Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2012
    Indiana, USA
    Yes, if hurt only my thought I recently just learned this feather thing pecking order? It is Sad to watch them do that especially when newbie learning watching...

Last edited: Aug 13, 2013
  7. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Yes put him next to them and give him time to heal but where they can still see each other.

8. aquagolda

Apr 27, 2013
    New Jersey
    yes put him next to the girls until he gets better

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by