1. cwinston

cwinston New Egg

Nov 18, 2011
    I have one agressive hen who always has to be the boss. It usually isn't a problem, but if she gets after one of the more passive hens, then she keeps going, tearing off back feathers and causing bleeding.
    There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason for the behavior - it's not always the same chicken she attacks. The have plenty of roaming time in the yeard, the coop and run is large....Once again, I have a hen that is now separated and under care for a back injury....

I have heard about the Peeps and devices that keep them from being able to peck. Has anyone used these? And, where can I buy just a couple?

THANKS!
    Chris

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    [​IMG]
    Pinless peepers are not going to help in this case. Your hen is a bully and a brute who needs to be put into timeout for a few weeks until she loses her spot in the pecking order. Once she is reintroduced into the flock she will be lowest in the pecking order and will hopefully be too busy defending herself to pick fights. If she continues to pick fights then you should put her in the stew pot.

Pinless peepers can help with picking, but not with bullying. You can find them in several places. I got mine at eggcartons.com. They are marginally helpful at deterring picking. I would say they are the most effective method on the market at this point. I've used them and about 7 other products, so I have a little bit of experience with picking. Unfortunately, I ended up putting my offenders in the stew pot to solve my problem.

I hope this helps. Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by