figuring out the gene thing in ND's

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by BBK, May 16, 2009.

1. BBK

BBK Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2009
    upstate NY
    we have a Blk Himmie doe that just had 3 buns, they're 4 wks old. Buck is a Seal.
    Ben took them to a rabbit clinic today to find out just exactally what colors they are. 2 are only pet quailty, which i was thinking as well. they're to dark, unless they lighten up after molting, but we're not keeping them.

But the other little girl, they're calling her a blue, in the SELF catagory.
    she has blue eyes and her fur is blue all the way down to her skin.
    So, we getting her ear tatted too, while he's there with her.

LIONHEAD NEWS... according to the experts at this clinic, they're putting lionheads on hold from ARBA, b/c of the double G gene, for the double mane and it's not coming back after molting on some/ most.

On our buck, his is there, but not as much as B4 and on our doe, her is there, pretty close to before.

Melinda

2. RabbitMage

RabbitMage Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    Honestly I'm not sure they'll ever get Lionheads passed-I've talked to several judges who share this opinion. There's just so much inconsistency in the breed.

Sounds like you had a fun day, though! We're headed to a show tomorrow.

3. BBK

BBK Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2009
    upstate NY
    good luck at the show. hope things go well...

what kind of rabbits do you have?
    Are your classes big ones?
    I've never been to a "real" rabbit show. ARBA sponsored. We have one 30 miles away, but i was recouperating from an operation in Jan, so we couldn't go.
    maybe next yr.
    Melinda

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by