FIL killed roo for us last week - 5 yo just has to watch

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by 4boysmom, Apr 29, 2008.

1. 4boysmom

4boysmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2007
    My 5yo was rather excited that "pawpaw" was going to kill the rooster last week. He's been wanting to eat him for quite a while. He stood there talking & talking while FIL did the deed....just as he started taking the intestines, etc out, my son just took off & ran up the hill. Got about 30-50 feet away & just fell over! He passed out for about 20-30 seconds, got up & ran on up to the house! DH was laughing cause all he could see for a few seconds was boots sticking up in the air... LOL:lol:

Yes, he still ate him when I made the chicken & dumplin's

Last edited: Apr 29, 2008
  2. Cassandra

Cassandra Ranger Rick

Oct 27, 2007
    Southwest Mississippi
    Wow! What a trooper [​IMG]

Looks like pawpaw is well on his way to raising a chicken farmer. That's a cute story.

Cassandra

3. wynedot55

wynedot55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    that shows you that kids are tougher than we give them credit for.an shows that he loves home grown chicken.

4. ams3651

ams3651 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    as a farm kid, I saw alot more than that. You learn early its part of the life cycle. Good for you for allowing him. You clearly knew he could handle it.

My grandfathers hand slipped when he was gutting a pig and it pee'd on him....[​IMG]

5. HillCountryMomma

HillCountryMomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2008
    LOL!!

Poor kid went boots up, huh? Bet that's a story he won't want to fess up to when he's a bit bigger.

When my husband butchered our mean old rooster a couple weekends ago my kids were so excited you'd have thought we were having a party (my daughter especially, who'd been the victim of a couple rooster attacks). I was the one who didn't want to watch the chicken get killed. I took my 1 year old and we walked away around an out building. I could hear it all though... the kids hooting 'Wack his head of Dad', the wack of the ax, and then more hooting and hollering and laughing. They're 4 (my daughter), 7 and 10 (older two are boys). They thought it was great. They helped me pluck him (my daughter saved the soft feathers for a feather pillow for her dolls) and butcher him. I cut off the feet and showed them how to pull the tendons to make the feet curl up... they all thought that was great!

I tell ya, they aren't the lease bit squeamish! They all thought it was real cool when I shot the evil wild pig a month or so ago as well. They all came out to check out the kill!

Liz

6. hazelton farms

hazelton farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2008
    NC
    Awesome Liz, did ya eat the pig? [​IMG]

Stacy

7. mangled

mangled Chillin' With My Peeps

Well, now. I feel a bit better about my 5 year old being around when we cull our roosters.

We were going to do it tomorrow, but now that my hatch has begun, it'll have to wait a few more days.

Thanks for the giggle. I can just see the little man going boots up. [​IMG]
    Em

8. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    Quote:What made it so evil? LOL Hopefully you ate the sucker, evil or not.

-Kim

9. steffpeck

steffpeck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Erda, UT
    ROFL!!

Last edited: Apr 30, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by