"Filleting"

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Salt and Light, Aug 7, 2010.

1. Salt and Light

Salt and Light Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    Osteen, FL
    Anyone ever "fillet" your birds? I did 5 Freedom Rangers today by filleting the meat off the carcass. I worked really well and went smooth and easy. I like skinless chicken breast and the rest of the tribe likes dark meat with skin. We don't eat the backs and the only internal organ we eat is the gizzard, which is easy to remove from the carcass.

Anyone else do this?

2. terri9630

terri9630 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2009
    New Mexico
    I fillet the breast and sometimes the thighs but leave the rest on the bone. Our little heathens like their meat on the bone.

3. Salt and Light

May 20, 2008
    Osteen, FL
    I'm sorry, I didn't express myself well. I also leave the meat on the bones, except for the ribs. What I was TRYING to say is that I filleted the meat from the carcass. In other words, I did NOT gut the chicken.

4. terri9630

terri9630 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2009
    New Mexico
    Ahh. No we don't do that. Our neighbours love the organs so we clean the bird so they can have them.

5. stanglover2001

stanglover2001 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2010
    I had NEVER thought about doing that before... [​IMG]
    So what DO you do with the organs and such?

6. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    We skin and de-bone. I wouldn't waste the rest of the carcass. I aways save the bones and make stock. And yes the internal organs are edible. Why waste them. If you can't bring your self to eat them then feed to the dog or cat. The bird gave up it's life you, why waste so much.

7. Wolfwoman

Wolfwoman Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Chickaloon, Alaska
    LMAO! It's called boning, you fillet a fish...heehee. Hubby has done a few that way, some he's quartered, some halves, some whole.

8. Salt and Light

May 20, 2008
    Osteen, FL
    It's not really boning because I don't remove the meat from the bone (i.e. thigh, leg, wings). It is more like filleting a fish where the meat is cut away from the underlying carcass.

The carcass that the dogs don't eat are discarded in the back of the property and are eaten by 'coons, feral cats, buzzards, etc.

9. rhoda_bruce

rhoda_bruce Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    Cut Off, LA
    I can't imagine myself doing that, unless I'm in a survival type situation and was pressed for time. I'm too frugal for that. I understand though and if my little brother was a chicken raiser, I know he would be all over your idea, because thats sorta what he does with deer. I keep asking me to save the ribs for BBQs, but he says he can't because he doesn't even gut deer anymore and the ribs don't have enough meat for him to consider it worth it.
    I wouldn't be able to waste that much meat. I would have to retain the bones and backs to boil down for stock......which btw, has lots of meat. esp if we talking about multiple chickens.

10. Bossroo

Bossroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2008
    If you have a 4 1/2 pound chicken carcass, then debone the breast, remove the legs and thighs... then after you boil the meat off the rest of the carcass, you will end up with 1 1/4 pounds of meat to use in all types of dishes, plus lots of nice rich broth.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by