Filling a Full Hova-Bator with Egg Turner

rwcmick

In the Brooder
12 Years
Jul 25, 2007
Well, I'm off to start a family...A chicken family that is and I have loaded up my Hova-Bator with 42 eggs.

My question for you is, how do you fill the channel once the eggs are placed in the egg turner?

I think that picking up the turner with all those eggs would end is disaster!

Any ideas? A baster filled with water perhaps?

I "inject" water into the rings with a turkey baster.
lol.png

I am having a hard time imagining what it is looking like at the moment, but one thing you could try is filling up a large cup with water, and using like fish tank tubing to create a suction, and then leading the tube into where you want to water to go. Raise the bucket and the water will flow in. Does this make sense?

On mine, there is enough of a gap on the lower right side, when you open it you can just pour water into the channel using a cup. It may slosh a little, but it dries up in a few minutes.

During hatch time, if I need to add water for some reason I use a funnel attached to a drinking cup tube (remember those big plastic drinking cups with those fat bumpy type straws). It works good to fill water thru the vent hole.

Jody

thanks for the ideas, between the funnel and the baster i should be able to get it. i just bought a hygrometer (from the reptilian section) at petco and it's telling me the current humidity is 70. i filled only the "c" channel as the guide said to. i'll wait it out a day or so and see where things settle. 70 for the 18 days is to high, isn't it?

here's the gauge i bought:

http://www.petco.com/product/9424/Kritterz-Reptile-Habitat-Humidity-Gauge.aspx

Those gauges are great I have that one too in my incubator. The humidity should be 50% for the first 18 days then raise it to 70% to finish out the hatch. Good luck

I checked in on the incubator today and it's still running 70-75% on the gauge I bought from Petco.

Should I trust that number? When I take the top off it does seem pretty balmy. About 1/2 a minute and the humidity is down to 55-60%.

Should I take all the eggs out and fiddle with the water tray since I'm only about a day into the process?

When mine went too high and couldn't get it down. I rolled up a paper towel stuck it through the little squares and absorbed some of the water out of the canel until I got my humidity where I needed it. It takes a while.

Good luck,

jackie

My incubation humidity goes unchecked, but if I did monitor it and it was too high, I would just wait till it drys out and let it run dry for a while. The important part is to make sure enough water loss is occurring from the egg and you don't drown the chick the last 3 days.

so then it would be safe "let it ride" for now until the water runs out? or should i dive in and try to fix it? the owner's manual for my hovabator says that most poor hatches are due to too much humidity, that's what has me worried.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom