Filthy baby chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by sinistershelly, Sep 30, 2011.

1. sinistershelly

sinistershelly Out Of The Brooder

Jul 17, 2011
    I went on Craigslist and found a person selling and wanting to trade some chicks. I ended up bring home 5 lil ones. 2 blue silkies, 1 splash silkie, and 2 splash frizzle cochins. When I went to pick them up, I noticed the cages they were in were really really crowded. They didn't look very dirty surprisingly, but when I brought them home and started handling them, I noticed they are COVERED in crap. My husband had cut one HUGE chunk off one of the silkies legs but there are more, huge chunks like stuck to their legs, feet, wings. What should I do to help clean em up? Its just huge hard balls of poop all over them. [​IMG]

2. Lil'ChickFarm

Lil'ChickFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2011
    Put them in a tub of some warm water, about an inch and stay right with them. Splash the water up on the areas that have stuck poop and it will melt. Then you can get some clean water and soap them up clean if you want. Just make sure they don't stick their heads in for a drink, as chicks can drown easily. I would do one at a time, so you can hold it's head up.

3. OvertheHenHouse

OvertheHenHouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    San Diego
    Lil'ChickFarm :

Put them in a tub of some warm water, about an inch and stay right with them. Splash the water up on the areas that have stuck poop and it will melt. Then you can get some clean water and soap them up clean if you want. Just make sure they don't stick their heads in for a drink, as chicks can drown easily. I would do one at a time, so you can hold it's head up.

X2. Also you can use a toothpick to scrape the softened poop off. Be careful of the stuff that's really close to the skin - don't try to get that stuff off until it's really soft and easily comes off. If they're that dirty, I'd be concerned about disease, so keep them separated from your others (if you have others).
    Good luck! Love those silkies...​

4. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Lil'ChickFarm :

Quote:X3​

5. ALRwild

ALRwild Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    Idaho
    Quote:Quote:X3

X4

6. lvchicken

lvchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2011
    Quote:Quote:X3

X4

x5

7. Impress

Impress Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Gray, TN
    I keep hearing the name of this thread in Gollum's voice, "Filthy little chickenses!"

8. Achickenwrangler#1

Achickenwrangler#1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    west virginia
    Oh, poor little bug hunters! Aren't they lucky to have you. [​IMG]

9. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG] Gotta' love Gollum...

Yeah OP - I'd be giving some warm sudsy baths...I'd use the bathroom so you can keep things warmer with the door shut. The sink is fine, but it'll take time, since you've got several to do, and they may require some soaking to soften up the hardened stuff. You'll have to work at it with your fingers once it's had time to soften a bit. Then towel and blow dry to make sure they don't get cold, and then under the brooder lamp. Use your bath/handling time to look closely at their skin to make sure they have no lice/mites. Most chickens I've bathed settled down and enjoyed their warm bath after the first 30 seconds or so of holding and soothing talk.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by