Final hatch update with new chick pics!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by NurseNettie, Jul 19, 2008.

1. NurseNettie

NurseNettie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2008
    Northern Maine
    Today, the 'bator gets emptied, and here's my final tally (These are from Dipsy Doodles eggs, for those who have her eggs-- they are so cute!)

36 eggs went in- 10 hatched, 1 other pipped and stopped. 1 chick has passed on- he wasn't doing well and went to sleep, not to awaken again.
    So, we've got:

1 Naked Neck
    2 Frizzles
    6 Ameraucanas

My camera is dying a slow death-- and it's only 6 months old- but here are just a couple of the 5 day olds:

My darling little fugly Naked Neck:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And my 2 Frizzles--- ( by the time I got the Ameraucana's on the table, the camera wasn't cooperating, so I'll try to update later)

[​IMG]

2. injunjoe

injunjoe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    Pasco county, FL.
    Congrats! [​IMG]
    Sorry you lost one. [​IMG]

3. NurseNettie

Feb 13, 2008
    Northern Maine
    Thanks! I'm sorry we lost one too-- but, I went to bed that night and DH and I were discussing how long to wait before we needed to put the chick down if it wasn't keeping up-- it wasn't standing well, wouldn't open it's eyes, and that evening started having labored breathing... I was thankful to wake up to find him "sleeping"-- I didn't have to make the decision, that it was made for us.

4. NurseNettie

Feb 13, 2008
    Northern Maine
    I got my camera to cooperate long enough to take pics of 2 of my Ameraucanas-- aren't they cute?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Solsken Farm

Solsken Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Precious, Nurse Nettie! [​IMG] WTheck will that poor Naked Neck do in Maine this winter?[​IMG] [​IMG]

6. NurseNettie

Feb 13, 2008
    Northern Maine
    Quote:I guess I'll have to knit her a scarf [​IMG]

7. ezbird

ezbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2008
    Dang 36 eggs and only 9 chicks, that just not right! Hopefully your future hatches can be better. Love the chicks, very cute.

8. grace6691

grace6691 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2008
    GA
    those chicks are adorable!

9. mr.majestik

mr.majestik Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2008
    GA
    Great pics and congratulations on the hatch. They look great!

10. NurseNettie

Feb 13, 2008
    Northern Maine
    Quote:I'd hoped for more, but, what can you do? They were shipped, it's warm out, I'm new at this, and we had a few power outages. I'm also wondering if humidity is an issue-- I'm going to read about dry incubation and try that next time. The number actually works well for us though-- with what we've got and what we're getting, we'll have 40 chickens by next week. In a few more weeks, we'll know who's a roo and who's not, and cut back to a couple dozen laying hens or more if we're lucky, and we'll be good!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by