Final numbers on my last flock of broilers

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by cattleman999, Dec 13, 2011.

1. cattleman999

cattleman999 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2010
    I just finished my fourth flock of broilers and kept really good records for the first time. I have learned quite a few things about raising the CX in a very short amount of time thanks to the people here. I wanted to share the results of my last group and see how I compared to others on here. I purchased 75 from Welp and they arrived on 9/14/11. The first thing I learned is that they do a lot better for me being raised outside in a tractor when the temps are more moderate. I tried raising my first batch in the middle of the summer and that was tough on them. One other thing I need to mention is that this is my second group from Welp and I wasn't very impressed with the first group nor this group when they arrived, or so I thought. I even commented on my displeasure with Welp in another post someone had but I think I must retract that statement. I ordered 75 and they sent 77 and I put 72 in the freezer so I think my problems prior were probably just that, my problems.

Avg weight of whole dressed birds = 6.00
    Avg weight after being parted out = 3.74/ this is breast, legs, thighs, and wings
    Cost/whole bird = $8.91 = $1.49/lb
    Parted out = $2.38/lb

24 were processed at 8 weeks and the rest were processed at 9 weeks.
    I ended up feeding 21.8lbs of feed/bird

I look forward to any comments you may have.

2. SIMZ

SIMZ Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    Records are great, aren't they? I kept very good records on my last batch - unfortunately. [​IMG] I have a way to go to cut costs so it makes sense to raise them.

My first batch finished up in mid-June and they really suffered in the heat. My last batch grew up in September to mid-October and did SO much better! I'll be raising them in spring again and plan to have them outside as soon as possible.

Mine came from Central hatchery in NE and I thought they were great. I plan to order from them again. They ate about 15.5 pounds of feed each to reach an average weight of right around 3.5-4 lbs each dressed weight in 7 weeks. I even had 3 that dressed at 5 pounds! All of that was great until I realized it cost $9.26 to raise each chick!!! [​IMG] That included the price of chick, the $1 each to butcher, and the shavings. I'd like to get that down to around $7.50 the next time - lower if I butcher them myself.

Fun, isn't it?

Last edited: Dec 13, 2011
  3. wyoDreamer

wyoDreamer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    Cattleman999 - nice job! sounds like you did good! I would like to hear more about your setup.

SIMZ, sounds like you need a tractor for them. No shavings and move daily. That $1 to butcher is a good price.

4. cattleman999

Jun 27, 2010
    Quote:I would be glad to answer any specific questions you may have.

5. wyoDreamer

Nov 10, 2010
    How tall is your tractor? and do you have all 75 in one or do you have them split up?

6. cattleman999

Jun 27, 2010
    Quote:My tractor is 24" tall and 12'x12'. Yes, all 75 were in the same tractor. They had water all the time but only fed 3 times a day so they didn't have feed available non stop. It wasn't as exact as some say with 12 on 12 off.

7. wyoDreamer

Nov 10, 2010
    Did you buy bulk feed from a feed mill, or pre-mixed bags?

8. cornish20

cornish20 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 8, 2011
    what about the cost of the single use oriented tractor?

9. cattleman999

Jun 27, 2010
    Quote:I fed Dumor 20% Chick grower from TSC the whole time.

10. cattleman999

Jun 27, 2010
    Quote:I did not keep good records on the cost to build my tractor. My thoughts were that it will be used for multiple flocks so amoritized over time it isn't much cost. I have roughly 200-250 in the tractor.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by