1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Final opinion. Roo or pullet or still confused: update, she crowed!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by porteryork, Jul 28, 2008.

1. porteryork

porteryork Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2008
    Clarkesville, GA
    Okay, here are the final pics of Raines my BLRW. She is 19 weeks and shows no signs of being a roo. Several of you have mentioned that you think Raines is a roo so I took some more pics of her comb, feet and bohonkus. Okay time to vote, roo or pullet? [​IMG]

She doesn't like being called a roo! [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

more of her comb
    [​IMG]

Her feet ready for Manolos[​IMG]

Her feather butt and a overall view.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

She does know she is pretty![​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 3, 2008
  2. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    Your pics aren't showing up.

3. flyingmonkeypoop

flyingmonkeypoop Overrun With Chickens

Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington
    Only the first two pics showed up for me. From what I can see, it looks like it has a glossy red wing bow, it looks like pointed hackle feathers, and shiny pointed saddle feathers. All that added up equals a rooster.

4. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGP/Wyand/BRKWyand.html

Look
    at the pics on the feathersite page.

By this time, if Raines is a Roo, you should be seeing some streaming, long tail feathers starting to come in. My black austrolorp, another slower devloping breed, was crowing and had long tail feathers already for several weeks and he's just now hitting 18/19 weeks.

I can't see the pics that show the tail, but that should be the biggest clue.

Now, there is always the rare gender confused bird, but if the tail feathers aren't there with the comb/wattles that developed I think you have a girl.

My wyandottes started laying at 23 weeks, so another few weeks and you should get the ultimate proof of her girly-ness. I should add too, that your bird's comb and wattles looks to be pretty much the same size and color as my girls'. I have two gold laced and two silver laced.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2008
  5. pkeeler

pkeeler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2008
    Shamong
    I would think having a roo that acted like a hen (no crowing, no dominant displays towards humans, etc.) would be a good thing [​IMG] I guess if you are trying for maximum egg production, it wouldn't be. But then, you wouldn't have BLRWs [​IMG]

BTW, my 8-wk BLRW is similarly hard to figure out the gender of. The comb is red already, but all the rest looks hen-like. Maybe the roos of this breed are generally henish.

6. porteryork

May 9, 2008
    Clarkesville, GA
    Thanks everyone. I think I fixed the pictures, I got a little delete happy with my uploads.
    Wouldn't she have a larger comb if she was a roo?

7. herechickchick

herechickchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    Memphis TN
    Definitely a rooster

edited to add here is my BLRW hen

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 29, 2008
  8. scrapmom5

scrapmom5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2008
    Utah
    I think this breed is difficult to sex. I have two BLRW that are 8 weeks old. I believe one to be female and one to be male. I have had friends say that their BLRW HEN looked just like my supposed male when theirs were the same age. My two act the same and almost look the same. One has a little more red and little wattles. His comb is wider than the other also. I figure I will know when he crows (I have been crowing at him for some time now [​IMG]) and lays an egg (months from now) I will know for sure.

As for yours I am guessing hen. Let us know when/if she lays.

9. porteryork

May 9, 2008
    Clarkesville, GA
    Argh! this is so frustrating. I looked at the pics everyone has sent and then went and did some internet looking at BLRW's and now I think she is a he! The butt is the telling feature for me. The hens look more rounded than Raines' does.

Either way, I did find out that "it" is a very fine specimen and if it is a roo, I would like him to go to a breeder.

He still doesn't crow. My big ole orpington is the big mouth and she is definately a she!

10. flyingmonkeypoop

flyingmonkeypoop Overrun With Chickens

Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington
    I am now 100% sure it is a roo, he has the saddle of a rooster. The comb size doesnt always matter, in our white wyandottes we have one roo with a tiny comb that is the size of the hens combs and he has almost no wattles.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by