Finale..The pile of steel is no more.....it's a finished coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by pgpoultry, Jul 27, 2011.

1. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    This is the first time I have ever posted in this section....first time I have been justified in doing so.

For a variety of reasons my 13 chickens expanded to probably over 60.... I'm not counting........broody hens, eBay, need to hatch.....you know the picture

My two coops, solid home-made structures, which were more than adequate, suddenly were seeming a bit overcrowded with big bums (I have quite a few Brahmas). So I told hubby I was going to buy a new coop, a walk in coop. Groan from hubby who is not a chicken fan.....positive wail from him when the prices started at £1200.....not sore what the exchange rate is just now, but about $1000. So.."I can build one cheaper and better".....I've heard this before....it usually comes to nothing.

However, at least 10 weeks ago, a huge pile of steel was delivered, then a welder (Hubby has never done welding), then a welding helmet. BUT, nothing happened until 2 weeks ago, when yet another hen hatched a brood.Suddenly the welder was out and sparks flying everywhere.

A huge steel carcass eventually emerged, complete with 6 nest box slots and perch supports at 2 heights. Yesterday we dragged the huge structure to its resting place, primed it, and it will be painted ready for cladding with very high grade timber.

Now I need to pinch myself again....it looks like I'm going to get a new coop. My chickens will never believe it either!

Last edited: Aug 5, 2011
  2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Congrats on the new coop, that is cool.

When are we going to see pictures?

Imp

3. pgpoultry

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    I'll take a picture now.....just steel.....but we'll get there.

4. ThinkingChickens

ThinkingChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2011
    £1200 is about is about $2000 so I'm betting you saved yourself a bundle making your own coop. I can't wait to see pictures!

5. chicken_noob

chicken_noob Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2011
    Chehalis WA.
    That sounds awesome. Can't wait to see your coop...and barrow an idea or 2.. [​IMG]

6. pgpoultry

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    Now, don't laugh, the floor and roof are ready to be inserted and the wood cladding ordered.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And what I already have

[​IMG]

See this as the (very heavy!) skeleton. I will post pictures as it looks more like the real deal.

7. krickets

krickets Out Of The Brooder

Jul 4, 2011
    Alberta, Canada
    That's awesome! I don't know why anyone would laugh. [​IMG]
    Give your husband a pat on the back!

8. Lurken Turken

Lurken Turken Out Of The Brooder

Jul 29, 2010
    Acampo
    WOW! For someone who hasn't done welding, I'm impressed!!!! Remember to post pics when finished. And congrats on the new coop![​IMG]

9. carrlr

carrlr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2010
    Southern Illinois
    I like it. Can't wait to see the finished product!! You have 60 chickens in those smaller, wood, coops. How many coops do you have like that?

10. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Wow, great job. I couldn't do that.

Imp- beautiful setting too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by