1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Finally a coop for the Girls!!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by KeyPenCoop, Sep 8, 2008.

1. KeyPenCoop

KeyPenCoop Out Of The Brooder

Jun 22, 2008
    Lakebay, WA
    Help....................
    [​IMG]

[​IMG] yes, finally........
    In mid June I came home with 6 pullets from a feed store and started looking on CL for a coop. Well, before the day was over I had managed to go and pick up 12 more chicks from a breader that were 2 days old. By the time my DW got home from work I was sitting in here in my office with a box that was 2' x 2' and had 18 chicks in it.
    The poor kids lived in that box for almost a week--I had to change the shavings twice a day! I built a 4' x 4' house for them out of pallets and OSB and sheeted the roof with osb and a garbage sack. They had a heat lamp for a couple of weeks as the weather was cruddy. Then came a pen a couple of weeks later; it is 3.5' x 7'........w/ corragated plastic roof.
    Finally, after 13-14 weeks, I just moved 9 hens into their new house; the other 3 + roo I will move in the morning. Out of the original 18, 13 were hens and 5 roosters. I gave away 4 roosters and one HUGE mean hen. I 've been on this site daily since mid-June and most of my limited knowledge of poultry is from you guys..... I 've done so many things wrong, completely backwards. But I 've been so lucky to have not lost one of my kids to predators or sickness; no pecking or bugs(but what about that lump in her throat??[​IMG] ). But I would have never gotten everything completed had I not had them there daily to remind me, watch me........

So I built this coop trying to recycle everything and not have it cost a fortune..... I chased everything down off of CL, except the new plywood floor and roof and roofing comp., maybe 10 2x4's. I think I 've got about $200 into it.......

Here goes..... The rough frame.... the used skids are 6" x 8" x 14', joisted w/ 4x4's from an older guys rotted shed..... The framing is 7' x 12' and the used walls came from another guys old shed that I tore down.....
    [​IMG]
    This is the front view. There are 4 nests that are 12" x 14" x14' high, half through the wall with out side access. I salvaged the windows from a couple of different places and added another big one(30"wX60"tall!) in the back wall.

[​IMG]

This is the end where their door is and will be a temporary 10' x 12' pen. I have more vents to put in if I need them. The plywood section screws off for easier cleaning.

[​IMG]

Here's the inside before I got their roosts in tonight, and hay/shavings, food and water..... I wanted to paint/seal the floor and walls(I have 5 gals of recycled exterior paint) but time didn't allow.... I will get the outside and much of the inside painted soon)

[​IMG]

Were out on the Olympic Peninsula in WA and our weather is reasonably mild and seems to only get below freezing for a couple of weeks and rarely into the lower 20's. I didn't insulate as I will use a heat lamp if necessary----the coop isn't even 20' from a 200amp un-used meter(used to rent out this part of our property) that I can run a sub from: just using extention cords from there now.

So the girls house is now 7' x 8'6" with 8'+ ceiling---this left room inside the front door for storage/shop area that is 3'6" x 7' where I also would like to put a utility sink........

I do have a few regrets from the "recycling" part of this.......it took so much more time and effort(all the driving around and rebuilding stuff, pulling nails) and really limited what I could do for the girls not to mention how long they had to wait...... But then again, I am sure I saved over $1000!
    Pretty good after coming from this---vvv ??
    [​IMG]

Let me know what you think and what you might do differently.............

I'll get some new pics soon--hope to get one of them smiling!!

Thanks so much for allowing me to lurk here in this wealth of knowledge, love for chickens............ I hope to be able to participate more!

Kelly [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 8, 2008
  2. SSO202

SSO202 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2008
    Hartwood, VA 22406
    It looks great. The important part is you did it yourself and that you saved money doing it. I built something about the same size and have over $1,000 in it. You can continue to change and add to it as time permits of course. Good luck!

3. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    Great looking coop, I really like all the windows.

4. chickenfever

chickenfever Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2008
    Arizona
    Looks great, I'm very jealous! You did a good job, I think the chickens will be very happy. Beautiful chickens, BTW [​IMG]

5. 2manyhats

2manyhats Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2008
    Central NY
    Nice job. We need to build another coop or two before winter. Money is tight so I need to find some free or cheap materials. Bought some nice windows at an auction for $10 each. Need to hit up a used shop for some doors and more windows. I keep watching freecycle, too. You've inspired me to get going.

6. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    Great job!!!!! Plenty of room.

Once question/suggestion. I can't tell from the photo do you have something covering the windows?
    If not I would suggest hardward cloth. This will keep the chickens where there suppose to be and predators out.

7. Anny

Anny Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Detroit Michigan
    Very nice! I'm sure the chickens will love it.

8. johnmayersquare

johnmayersquare Let's Talk About Chicks, Man!

Nov 17, 2007
    Port Orchard, WA
    Looks AWESOME! Way to go! [​IMG]

9. DouglasPeeps

DouglasPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2008
    Colorado
    Your chickens look happy! Great Job!

10. KeyPenCoop

KeyPenCoop Out Of The Brooder

Jun 22, 2008
    Lakebay, WA
    Thank you for all of the replies!!<----what a great inspiration!
    The girls had a great first day today in their new home! I have 3 more hens to try to get moved in there tonight still.

There is chicken wire over both of the windows and the hardwire cloth over half of the tall window....... Tomorrow I hope to get more done to their pen and get a bit more done inside too....... I 've used my whole vacation up on this project and a couple of others...... I 'll get new pics of them tomorrow and hopefully they'll be out in their pen.

Were ready for eggs!!---> I 'll go let them know right now [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by