Finally a crowing rooster! Yeah!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by woodmort, Aug 4, 2010.

1. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    One of the things I missed most after losing my birds last winter was the crowing of the roosters. One of my 8-week old EE's was making croaking sounds this morning--I'll give him a week to get it right. BTW, I ordered 6 straight-run EE's from McMurray and it appears there are 4 pullets. Of the 2 roosters, one definitely has genetic problems, he still has not fully feathered out.

2. BeccaB00

BeccaB00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Kansas
    Congrats on your little rooster!! [​IMG] I always luv it when we have one JUST starting to crow because they sound so funny [​IMG]

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I love it when they start to crow. It's hilarious!

4. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    Yeah, he kind of croaks--I stand down there and do my best impression of crowing to set him off. He's trying. [​IMG]

5. cjdmashley

cjdmashley Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2010
    Vermont
    their first crow is hilarious congrats!! [​IMG]

6. 33yardbirds

33yardbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Southern New Jersey
    One of my Barred Rocks started with one long errrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! I laughed so hard I gave him a complex and he didn't try again for a wk. He now has the classic 4 note crisp crow every morning , mid morning, afternoon and evening, he's pretty impressed with himself I guess.

7. IonaFarm

IonaFarm Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2010
    Isn't that young teenage crow hilarious! I resently got 2 sebrights. The little rooster is trying his hardest to get a decent crow out. I love listening to him try.

8. Lynette

Lynette Chillin' With My Peeps

My golden Sebright has been trying to crow for a month and even though he is getting better, he still can't get that last note right.

9. OrloffTom

OrloffTom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2010
    NC
    Mine are close to 17wks old and my rooster still doesn't crow [​IMG]. He's a Russian Orloof so I don't know if they have a low crow and I've just not heard it or what lol.

10. Vanessabuffsnsilkies

Vanessabuffsnsilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    NE Ohio
    My little blue silkie chick started crowing last week. He is so cute...hopefully he doesn't become a demon when he gets older.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by