Finally! A politician who is......

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by happyhen, Jul 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. happyhen

happyhen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    Northeastern Ohio
    attempting to do something about the huge bite taken from our wallets filling our gas tanks just to get to work!

Steven LaTourette, congressman from Ohio, has proposed legislation to reimburse drivers for a percentage of gas used while commuting to and from work. HR 6154 would reimburse commuters up to 30 miles a day, round trip, 5 days a week and 50 weeks a year.

Someone not just "feels our pain" but is actually working on trying to help.

Time to call Congressmen! Hopefully they will pass HR 6154, or come up with something better. [​IMG]

2. Just-Like-Hatching

Just-Like-Hatching Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2008
    Dothan, AL
    But that money has to come from some where.. More Taxes....

3. ChuckenGirl

ChuckenGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2007
    Maryland :)
    does that only effect ohio or the whole nation?

4. happyhen

happyhen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    Northeastern Ohio
    It would affect the nation and would not come from taxes, but would be a deduction from our income tax and refunded then.

5. MayberrySaint

MayberrySaint Chillin' Out

Mar 7, 2007
    Mount Airy, NC
    Terrible idea...[​IMG]

Why should my tax dollars go to subsidize people who made a choice to purchase large, fuel-sucking vehicles.

6. Oblio13

Oblio13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Here's how all programs of this nature work:

The government punishes success by taxing the middle and upper classes. They take a 50% cut to fund their bureaucracy. With the other 50%, they subsidize failure. In return, the welfare class votes for them.

If you rob Peter to pay Paul, Paul will vote for you.

7. BuckeyeDave

BuckeyeDave Overrun with Buckeyes

May 27, 2008
    Minster, Ohio
    My Coop
    Quote:Agreed, buying the votes just in time for November.

Instead of going after the effects of supply and demand they should stop the stupid stuff and go after the cause. Oil is high because demand is high, stop all of the BS and let us drill in America. We have more oil in our borders to be self sufficient for 30 years, we actually have more oil than the middle east.
    Drill here, Drill now.
    Peace,
    Dave

Last edited: Jul 2, 2008
  8. ginasmarans

ginasmarans Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    West Tn
    I agree, I don't need a hand out,just let free enterprize work.The problem is that we,as Americans have gotten spoiled and we don't want to sacrifice anything. If we start really limiting our fuel consumption it will effect other industries,like tourism, and then those people will start yammering and those are the voices that will be heard. You have whole communities and sometimes states dependant heavily on tourism. Start hitting them where it hurts. Stay home,don't go anywhere you don't have to and let the gas rust in the bottom of big oil's tankers.That's what we're doing.

9. warcard

warcard Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    SE Indiana
    How about we just plain cut my taxes, drill for our own oil, and build nuclear power plants?

The government (State and Federal) makes around $0.40 per gallon for doing nothing [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] , "big" oil makes about $0.06 and they do all the work [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. kinnip

kinnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    I love this forum! [​IMG] I agree that I don't want to pay for other folks to drive. I already pay in nearly $10k in taxes every year. I don't get a refund, I don't get a rebate. If something like this passes, I just pay more taxes. I don't make mega-millions, some months I don't even get paid. I'm just a small business owner trying to keep my people employed and I'm sick and tired of being mugged by the government. Small business in the U.S. pays the checks the government writes.
    Insofar as individuals with fuel cost issues, you should weigh the cost of getting to and from work against your paycheck. If you can't foot the gas bill, you might need a job that's closer to home. People in America are super spoiled when it comes to fuel. The rest of the world has been paying these prices for decades. It's time we stop taking it for granted and actually calculate the cost of transportation. Having lived in Europe, I'm appalled by the lack of sidewalks in America. It's potentially lethal here to walk to the shops. If you want to write a congressman about something, tell him you want to see a walking/biking friendly America.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by