Finally, a successful hatch!! But, now, a question or two..

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by 10sevol, Sep 4, 2014.

1. 10sevol

10sevol Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2014
    Day 20, and 3 new little chicks out of 18 are out strutting around. Four more eggs have pipped, and a couple more wigglers seem to be giving it a go. This is our second attempt, and our first attempt was a total failure. From what I learned, I think I drowned all the chicks on the first go. This time, I went with the dry system (and a better thermometer), and we are very excited to see this miracle for the first time!

Now, the questions....The easter egger seen below is having a lot of trouble positioning his neck...you can sort of see it in the pic, but his beak is pointed straight up most of the time, and/or his head is laying on his back (beak also straight up). Sort of looks like his head is just too heavy, but he is also substantially larger than the other chicks. Is this something that straightens itself out (pun intended), or is this a possible deformity?

What the max time to leave these guys in as part of the lockdown/hatch before we should move them out to a heat lamp with some water and food?

Last, this isn't a question, but this specific hatch has a history that is cool. We weren't looking to try one again anytime soon since the last failure, but our favorite easter egger hen, a huge barred rock rooster, and an australorp hen were killed three weeks ago in a daytime owl attack. The kids were sad. So we decided to take all her (easter egger) eggs from the previous 3-4 days, and several more that were fresh, and throw them in the incubator just to try to have some way for "Blackie" to live on.

So, we're super excited to have at least some success on this "whim" of an incubation cycle.

[​IMG]

2. HugHess

HugHess Chickrack Addict

Jul 14, 2014
    Go BROWNS
    Sorry about the loss of your adults...
    Babies that have fully absorbed their yolks should give you about three days to leave them while you wait for the rest to arrive....
    I am new here but the first thing I thought of with your new hatchling is that it could possibly be Wry neck? You can find a ton of info on that and hopefully the others with all the experience will chime in soon...
    Wish you and your newest members of the flock the best for a successful hatch...

3. HugHess

HugHess Chickrack Addict

Jul 14, 2014
    Go BROWNS
  4. 10sevol

Mar 26, 2014
    Thanks for the wry neck tip. I'll try some baby chick vitamins when I get them out and into a brooder this weekend. He'll just have to deal with it until then, as I don't think I should be trying to get him out and risk hurting the others.

It's a quite a little wrecking ball, though. Somehow, it keeps flipping completely over on its back with legs in the air, and then upright again. Doesn't seem to be in any particular stress, but I'm a bit worried he will damage the other eggs with all the random gymnastics.

5. HugHess

HugHess Chickrack Addict

Jul 14, 2014
    Go BROWNS
    Mine did the same thing and they didn't have wry neck! So hopefully little guy does well. You can also see threads were people have gone into there bators to get chicks out, out of need, and how they did it...just in case...again, while you wait for others to chime in...
    Best wishes to all...

6. 10sevol

Mar 26, 2014
    Day 20, and 9 hatchers out of 12 eggs with potential so far. The little guy with the crazy neck seems to be able to control the bend in it about 1/2 the time today. That's definitely better. Will post some more pics later. We are having a blast watching this!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by