Finally an egg...but from "Old" hen or "Young" hen??? That is the question!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MIchick, Oct 14, 2012.

1. MIchick

MIchick Out Of The Brooder

Aug 16, 2012
    So we have a Buff Orpington hen that we bought two months ago. We were told that she was about 10 months old at the time and "laying". We waited, and waited, and waited for an egg and finally gave up thinking that she was an old hen and the guy either got her mixed up (he had like 100 chickens or more), or pulled one over on us. Well, low and behold, she layed an egg today!! We KNOW it was her because we pretty much witnessed it. So my question is do you think she is an older hen that is just going to maybe lay an egg every few months, or maybe she was younger than he said and just hadn't started (although she looked full grown)? Just curious what others would think or if there is any way to tell? Also, the egg was on the smaller side compared to the eggs we get from our BR. Don't know if that tells anything or not?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 14, 2012
  2. MamaRudey

MamaRudey Chillin' With My Peeps

Can you get a face shot of her? She looks young to me.

3. Y N dottes

Y N dottes Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2012
    South Central WI
    im guessing that was her first egg....if it were an old hen, the eggs would be regular size, just ver infrequent

4. MIchick

Aug 16, 2012
    Is this close enough?

[​IMG]

5. MamaRudey

MamaRudey Chillin' With My Peeps

She is a youngun. :)

6. MIchick

Aug 16, 2012
    I don't know much about normal egg size, but would you say it should be comparable to a BR??

7. MIchick

Aug 16, 2012
    That would be AMAZING!! [​IMG]

I had completely given up on her!

8. jahphotogal

jahphotogal Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2012
    CT
    I don't know this first hand, but i"ve read that trauma can stop them from laying - maybe the move just threw her off. Hope she keeps laying! (I'm still waiting for my first eggs.)

9. MIchick

Aug 16, 2012
    yeah, I had heard that too, but after the first month of waiting I didn't think it was going to happen. We got another hen, and she was laying two days later and hasn't stopped!

10. Y N dottes

Y N dottes Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2012
    South Central WI
    yeah, somewhere around that size....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by