Finally! And it's huge! Check this out

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Cynthia12, Dec 20, 2011.

1. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    I knew she would lay today, she kept hopping up into the nest box. I've been waiting on my Partridge Rock all this month! Left home, hurried to the coop to see what I expected to be a small little first time pullet egg... Wow, was I surprised..
    Ask me if I'm excited after taking all these pictures. [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Who guesses it's a double yolker, or just one huge yolk?
    [​IMG] That's my leghorn's egg, it's a pretty good sized egg itself.
    Ok, it..was a double yolk. Ha, tomorrow may be a small egg. Who knows. Sure would be nice if she laid them like this all the time. I can't believe I am saying this, but hoping they don't get any bigger, even though she is big. [​IMG]
    I made myself lunch with them, on toast.. [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 20, 2011
  2. chickenlady08

chickenlady08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2009
    Eastern Shore, VA
    Wow that is awesome! Congrats to you and your hen for laying such a huge egg on her first time. Make sure she didn't cause any damage to her rear end. [​IMG]

3. Cynthia12

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    I should check shouldn't I? Thanks for reminding me, I just got so excited. [​IMG] But this girl is huge herself..my hubby keeps saying, man she's big.

4. RedIII

RedIII Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2011
    Tooele, Utah
    Very nice! I was going to guess double yoker, but then you posted that picture so.......can I still guess and be right? [​IMG] What type of leghorn is she?

5. RedIII

RedIII Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2011
    Tooele, Utah
    Very nice! I was going to guess double yoker, but then you posted that picture so.......can I still guess and be right? [​IMG] What type of leghorn is she?

6. chickenlady08

Jul 27, 2009
    Eastern Shore, VA
    Quote:Now is a Partridge Rock related to the Barred Rock. I have 6 BR hens and love them and we got a white Rock this summer to put under a broody hen and she is huge herself. Wonder if I have one like you do. She is definitely my biggest chicken even over my almost 3 year olds. lol

She may be fine but just check to make sure, would hate for something to happen to her.

7. chickenlady08

Jul 27, 2009
    Eastern Shore, VA
    Quote:Now is a Partridge Rock related to the Barred Rock. I have 6 BR hens and love them and we got a white Rock this summer to put under a broody hen and she is huge herself. Wonder if I have one like you do. She is definitely my biggest chicken even over my almost 3 year olds. lol

She may be fine but just check to make sure, would hate for something to happen to her.

Do you happen to have a picture of your hen? Maybe I have the same breed. [​IMG]

8. Cynthia12

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    Looks like there were a few others having a problem with uploading? I see that my other picture finally did. I've been trying off and on all day to get BYC to work, just after I posted the first two...hmmm?

9. Cynthia12

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah

Do you happen to have a picture of your hen? Maybe I have the same breed. [​IMG]

I do believe that the Rocks are related..just the difference in color? Like, Barred, Plymouth, white. Someone correct me if I am wrong. Will try and post of a picture of my girl from last month. She is even bigger now!
    Here she is, I hope it works... [​IMG]

10. chickenlady08

Jul 27, 2009
    Eastern Shore, VA

I do believe that the Rocks are related..just the difference in color? Like, Barred, Plymouth, white. Someone correct me if I am wrong. Will try and post of a picture of my girl from last month. She is even bigger now!
    Here she is, I hope it works... http://i1221.photobucket.com/albums/dd463/CynthiaWor/011-1.jpg

She is beautiful. I just picked up my white rock and I swear she is bigger than just a few weeks ago. I mean huge. my biggest girl for sure, probably bigger than most of my roosters. lol

Your rock has markings like some of my EEs have on their feathers. I may have to look into some of the Partridge. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by