FINALLY ... at 31 weeks and we have 3 new egg layers today....

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by lorain's fids, Feb 3, 2012.

1. lorain's fids

lorain's fids Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    New Jersey
    I am sooooooooooo happy. My 3 chickens who turned 31 weeks on Wednesday all layed their first egg today within an hour of each other.I thought it was never going to happen. I have 5 chickens and the first one to lay started on Dec.24th. She has been laying consistently. So I kept wondering why the other 4 weren't laying. People kept asking about the chickens and the eggs I was getting, and I kept saying well no eggs yet,anyday now, anyday...... But today is now anyday. WOOOHOOOO. I just have one more to start laying.....so it should be...any day now. LOL!!!![​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Congratulations! What kind of hens do you have?

3. lorain's fids

Jul 9, 2011
    New Jersey

I have 1 Black Australorp and 4 Dominiques.
    What kind do you have?

4. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Well, those are beautiful breeds! I've never had either of them.

Right now I have EEs, Buckeyes, and Olive Egger and a Golden Buff hybrid. Those are the large fowl.

For bantams I have frizzle cochins, and frizzle and smooth feather Polish, and a silkie. They are so much fun, aren't they?

It's just like Christmas when you get those first eggs, isn't it! [​IMG]

5. lorain's fids

Jul 9, 2011
    New Jersey
    Yes chickens are fun!! Being new to chickens I am learning as I go. When I was looking into getting chicks the Dominiques were suggested to me as a good breed to start with. The Austalorp was just mixed in. But I am very happy with that breed. And she is also very beautiful.
    Getting the 3 eggs today from the new layers was just like when I got the very first egg on Christmas eve.
    Sounds like you have alot of chickens--how many total?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by