Finally Bred My Little Meka

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Lacey1988, Jul 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lacey1988

Lacey1988 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    Mississippi
    I finally broke down and bred my little Meka....She is a cross between a Rat Terrier and Chihuahua. I bred her to my grandmothers 5lb. Snub Nosed Chihuahua.... I hope everything goes ok the last time I thought she was out of heat and brought her to my aunts house, her 15lb dog mated with her(shes 7lbs) and they didn't tell me until she started showing anyways the puppy was too big and we had to rush her to the vet it was too late to save the puppy [​IMG].... she wanted babies sooo bad she adopted my cat's kitten.....If it doesn't work out this time I'm just gonna get her fixed

Heres My Girl
    [​IMG]

2. LindsayB

LindsayB Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    Cypress, Texas
    I'm not trying to rude or anything...But do you have any idea how many animals get put to sleep in shelters every day? Its one thing to breed a purebreed dog to better the breed, but to just want puppies is just adding to the overpopulation of animals. If her first litter didn't work out why would you want to breed her again? What if you lose her this time? I'm sorry if my post isn't what you wanted to hear but its reality. I hope everything goes smooth and all the puppies find good homes.

3. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    Quote:x∞

4. Lacey1988

Apr 7, 2011
    Mississippi
    I already know this..... I have mine already gave away to wonder full homes, I'm keeping one myself actually and this was a well planned out thing I didn't just "pimp" my dog out to get money.....why should people that actually love their dogs be discouraged from breeding over something a few ignorant people do.....and how is that any different from people selling their chicks to people that don't have a clue in how to raise them and most of them die...lets face it you don't see chickens in shelters they most of the time get killed for no reason

Last edited: Jul 16, 2011
  5. LindsayB

Apr 26, 2008
    Cypress, Texas
    I understand that you love your dog but why not adopt a puppy instead? You wouldn't have to worry about something going wrong with the birth and you could still get her a friend. Plus you would be saving a life.

6. LindsayB

Apr 26, 2008
    Cypress, Texas
    Why are you bringing up killing chickens? That has nothing to do with the overpopulation of dogs.

7. Lacey1988

Apr 7, 2011
    Mississippi
    Sorry my cousin typed that part when I went to the bathroom.....we don't have a shelter for miles around here and the only reason why the puppy died last time was it was too big that wasn't a planned breeding my aunts dog was 15lbs and plus they didn't know its history....my grandmothers dog has a long history of little bitty dogs this was a well planned thing here

8. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    I hope everything goes well with your dog and you get many healthy, happy pups! [​IMG]

9. dainerra

dainerra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Quote:have twice as many homes lined up as you think you will need. When it's time for the babies to go home, you'll be surprised how many people will suddenly come up with 10,000 reasons they can't take a puppy.

it doesn't have anything to do with loving your dog. Breeding dogs CORRECTLY is very time-consuming and expensive. For example, do you know what genetic diseases are common in the breeds (rat terrier and chi)? Have you tested both dogs for all of these ailments? Hip/elbow xrays? For example, rat terriers have hypoglycemia, luxating patellas, and deafness among others. Chis have hypoglycemia, luxating patellas, PRA, and Hydrocephalus. Do you know if any dogs in either family history have any of these problems? Even if neither your or your grandmothers dog has these ailments, they could pass them on to the puppies.

You said that she was bred once before, did you have her tested for STDs? Yes, dogs can and do get sexually transmitted diseases. At best, it can render your dog sterile; at worst, it can cause her to lose the litter and possibly die herself.

No one doubts that you love your dog and that the families you have lined up will love them as well. But, without proper research, it can easily lead to heartbreak for everyone.

10. bossynbella

bossynbella Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2007
    Iowa
    Quote:I hope all goes well, but just so you know, don't count on those "wonderful homes" we have our first(and possibly only) litter of beagles right now, they are 5 weeks old, cute as buttons, doing great on peeing and pooping only on puppy pads and joy to be around. Long before I decided to breed I had 5 people who swore to me they wanted a puppy and a few more who said they might be interested. Both my girl and the father had all health tests done (this is expensive, but a necessary expense in my mind) Our puppies are pure bred, both parents are hunters. Yet we have had all but one of the potential "wonderful homes" change their mind. For good reasons. Two lost their jobs and one lost their home, the other simply decided with two small children at home (age 2 and 4) it wasn't the right time for the commitment of a puppy. So this means at 5 weeks old we have only one puppy who has a home. They will stay with us for as long as it takes for me to find them GREAT homes, but this isn't how I had thought it would turn out.

Also a litter of puppies is expensive! My girl would go through a $11 bag of purina One every 3 weeks before. Now she is going through a 25lb bag $30 a bag, every two weeks, more now that I am feeding the pups too. Thats just the dry food costs. She and they also get a premium canned food, and goat milk for the pups dry food. There is also Vet bills (she went three times between being bred and her whelping, and has been once since. We had all the pups in for a once over when they where born, and one has been back in because we where worried something was wrong as he didn't like to be held, he was fine, but we still had a $65 bill)

Our pure breed puppies are going for $50-$100, depending on the puppy. This will in no way even let us break even on the litter much less make money.

I hope everything goes well for you, but worry it won't!

Good luck

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by