1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Finally broke the boyfriend... Getting a rabbit today.

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Bettacreek, Nov 12, 2009.

1. Bettacreek

Bettacreek Overrun With Chickens

Jan 7, 2009
    Central Pennsyltucky
    Well, I found a free dutch in the classifieds yesterday. The boyfriend had all kinds of excuses against quail, but is willing to let me get some after the loans are paid off. I mentioned that I found something free, and he immediately said "get it". I've explained to him that I can't sit at home all day, it's driving me insane, so he's letting me get a critter to help pass some time and to make me happy. Anyways, I have to pick him up today, leaving at 12:30, getting there at 3, then getting home whenever (I'll probably spot on the way a little bit). This guy has everything coming with him. I do plan on getting more later for meat purposes, but this guy will be pet only.

2. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Congrats Betta! But you do know you drive me crazy with this needing permission crud...[​IMG]
    I cant take it! Ahhhh! [​IMG] [​IMG]

*GO GET YOUR QUAIL GIRL!!! UGH! If i still had some i'd send them to you... Your boyfriend cant tell ME no.. [​IMG]...*

Someone NEEDS to send Betta some quail!!! Anyone??

Last edited: Nov 12, 2009
  3. baldie

baldie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2008
    Douglas, MA
    Haha, I agree...sometimes I "pretend" to ask permission, just to let him feel important and he always says yes..because of course either way its a yes. [​IMG]
    That is awesome...bunnys are cute. I want one too, but first I need to find a goat. [​IMG]

4. Bettacreek

Jan 7, 2009
    Central Pennsyltucky
    Lol. Well, before winter is over, I'll have my quail, lol. I figure that I'll give him until then to say yes, if not, tough dookie. I'll get them a little bit before spring hits, so that I can make them concentrate on growing instead of breeding (less light), then process the extra roos. His brother has a big turkey pen that he's bringing up. I'm going to check it out, see what I can do with it. We're going to use that for growing out rabbits, but I'm assuming that I'll be able to make quail pens on the side of it. [​IMG] I'll be raking rabbit poo for the garden come spring as well. He won't be able to complain too much when he's getting so much in one package. My happiness ruling all of course, lol.

Oops, forgot to say... Good luck with the goat Baldie! I'd love to get goats too, but our back yard isn't exactly big enough.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2009
  5. Bettacreek

Jan 7, 2009
    Central Pennsyltucky
    Finally made it home from getting the rabbit. His official name is Derek, but they called him Bun. I think I'll stick with Bun for now, since Derek is my brother's name, lol. He's litter trained and everything! The woman had to rehome him because she works 80 hours a week and couldn't spend enough time with him. I'm a SAHM and there are four kids here to play with him and keep him busy. Plus I'll probably use him as a breeder in the future. I'll post pictures eventually.

6. Bettacreek

Jan 7, 2009
    Central Pennsyltucky
    As an update, the boyfriend really likes the rabbit. I put a lock on the cage so that the six year old stays out of the darned cage and doesn't teach the two and three year olds how to open it. Well, the key is around my neck, and the boyfriend said something today about putting the key where he can find it, near the cage, because he likes to get in and let the rabbit out and play too! Lol. He even changed the litter pan for me the other day. Maybe it won't be so hard to get quail now, lol.

7. gaited horse

gaited horse Merry Christmas!

Aug 14, 2008
    Fernley, NV
    Where are the pics??

8. Bettacreek

Jan 7, 2009
    Central Pennsyltucky
    *Chuckles* I'll have to see if I can get my adapter thing working for the xd card. Give me a few minutes (probably more like half an hour, I have a few projects that I have to check up on every minute or two, lol).

9. Bettacreek

Jan 7, 2009
    Central Pennsyltucky
    [​IMG]

There's one pic. The top left corner, I rigged up a hay rack for the bugger, and the bright green thing is obviously the litter box. We have to change it every two days, because on the second day, it looks like that. I'm going to try to switch him to those wood pellets instead of clay kitty litter, then I can compost it.

10. gaited horse

gaited horse Merry Christmas!

Aug 14, 2008
    Fernley, NV
    He looks really nice I love the pad lock

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by