Finally caught the mystery 'beast'

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Cara, Dec 16, 2008.

1. Cara

Cara Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2007
    NM
    I'd been losing birds for weeks in one of my inside coops. I couldn't figure out what it was though, since the coop is a partitioned area of a new barn. The floor is concrete, the walls are tin on three sides, the other side is 10'+ tall. Some birds would have their wings ripped off, some were missing toes, some would completely disappear and others were headless. All of the parts were always inside the coop.

We put some bird netting across the doorway to the barn, but they were still getting killed. I moved all of my birds out of there, and one day noticed a new pile of feathers inside, from a dove. We figured it had to be some kind of bird of prey, as it would be difficult for anything else to catch a dove in there.

Last week my husband came home to tell me the beast had been captured, and wasn't too pleased about it. This is what we found:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

He is a Great Horned Owl. In that instant I forgave him for killing 15+ of my birds and messing up my breeding program. He was just so beautiful, and didn't even look real. He was almost 2 feet tall. We untangled him, put him in a dog crate and drove him 10 miles to another part of the ranch to release him. Hopefully he won't be back, but my coop needs securing anyway. Even if he had died, another one could easily come along. He's just doing what comes naturally, and is good at it. There's no sense in hunting when he has his dinner laid out in front of him.

[​IMG]

2. LittleYellowOne

LittleYellowOne Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] SO AMAZINGLY BEAUTIFUL! I think I would have to forgive him too... and then try and keep him~

Thank you for the photos!

3. Zola

Zola Out Of The Brooder

Dec 15, 2008
    I'm so sorry you lost your chickens, but oh, he's beautiful!

4. #1California Chick

#1California Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    I am so sorry for the loss of your chickens:hit

However, I am very proud that you took the high road and let the Great Horned Owl go. He is really beautiful!!

Hopefully you will be able to secure your chickens so that they are no longer at risk!!

Cindy

5. m00res

m00res Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2008
    San Diego
    Wow! He is beautiful! I'm sorry about your babies.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2008
  6. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    What a gorgeous creature! Hope he doesn't find his way back, and that you are able to secure your coops and pens against future attacks.

Very nice of you to give the critter a reprieve. He looks so confabulated all tangled up in that netting, poor guy.

7. Jena

Jena The Welsh Witch

Nov 2, 2008
    Cardiff
    He is amazing isn't he?

Awesome, Glad you have found the cause of your loses, not sure if you have cured it though.

I don't know, but I understood owls were territorial, so he may find his way back, but as you hae said you do need to do more to secure your birds just in case.

Good luck and thank you so much for the pics, he is magic.

Jena.

8. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

WOW

That's one pretty bird. LOVE those eyes.

Sounds like reinforcements are needed to keep the peace between the birds and the wild.

9. andorraclaim

andorraclaim Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2008
    East Austin, Texas
    Thank you for releasing her (based on it's mass size), Owls are - by far - at the cusp of the ecosystem.

10. danischi24

danischi24 Loves naked pets

Aug 17, 2008
    Australia
    Sorry about your birds but how lovely! She doesn't look entirely impressed with the net episode. We have a very similar owl that commonly falls out of nests. My neighbor raised one & a friend raised & now breeds many.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by