Finally caught the perp

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by superchemicalgirl, Feb 5, 2011.

1. superchemicalgirl

superchemicalgirl HEN PECKED

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    Something attacked my chickens on Monday during the day while I was at work. I could see pawprints in the snow and there was an area where you could tell the perp had fought with a chicken. Luckily I didn't lose anyone, but I knew it would be back.

It came back this morning around 10 AM.

[​IMG]

So much for them being noctural or hibernating in the winter.

2. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Ya know, they are kind of cute... That having been said, any skunk that shows up in our yard dies. Glad you caught him.

3. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    Good work. They are so cute but not allowed here on my property.

4. superchemicalgirl

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    S/he won't be back. I don't like killing animals, but I will kill something that goes after my girls. Luckily I've only ever had to end the lives of two animals in my life... unfortunately for me - both skunks. And animal control around here has the rule "you catch it, you take care of it." How nice.

5. Tony K T

Tony K T Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Keep your trap ready.A skunk very rarely attacks poultry.I think you may have something else and this guy just got caught in the wrong place at the wrong time.Plus he/she looks to small to even try anything.
    In N.H.,Tony.

6. dkosh

dkosh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Eastern MA
    Skunks don't usually go after adult birds. They do love to raid the eggs. I agree with Tony KT, keep your trap out a little longer. Good luck.

7. superchemicalgirl

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    Quote:I thought the same thing, but there's so little to eat around here this time of year. And it was the same footprints as the last time... that being said, I'm not going to be complacent, I've still got the small trap outside and set, and I'll be setting this one in a few days when it's had time to air out.

8. superchemicalgirl

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    Quote:Also I've got chicks out in the coop... peeping away loudly.

9. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    Quote:I agree , bet ya got something else around.

But then again they do love eggs [​IMG]

I am suprised ya have not detected an order of it in the area before this ,cause i can always tell ya when one passes close by my place.

10. bruinfan

bruinfan Out Of The Brooder

Sep 12, 2010
    I know what you mean about thinking skunks are nocturnal. I came home today at 1PM and I heard my six ladies squawking from their outside perch, so I peek in the coop and there's a possum lookin back at me. Fortunately all my birds are fine, but they're still outside afraid to go in the coop. I placed two birds in the coop and they looked around, but then came back out to perch. I'll have to see if they go in at night.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by