Finally caught the perp

superchemicalgirl

HEN PECKED
11 Years
Jan 10, 2010
Vacationland, Maine
Something attacked my chickens on Monday during the day while I was at work. I could see pawprints in the snow and there was an area where you could tell the perp had fought with a chicken. Luckily I didn't lose anyone, but I knew it would be back.

It came back this morning around 10 AM.

46869_the_perp.jpg

So much for them being noctural or hibernating in the winter.

S/he won't be back. I don't like killing animals, but I will kill something that goes after my girls. Luckily I've only ever had to end the lives of two animals in my life... unfortunately for me - both skunks. And animal control around here has the rule "you catch it, you take care of it." How nice.

Keep your trap ready.A skunk very rarely attacks poultry.I think you may have something else and this guy just got caught in the wrong place at the wrong time.Plus he/she looks to small to even try anything.
In N.H.,Tony.

Skunks don't usually go after adult birds. They do love to raid the eggs. I agree with Tony KT, keep your trap out a little longer. Good luck.

Quote:
I thought the same thing, but there's so little to eat around here this time of year. And it was the same footprints as the last time... that being said, I'm not going to be complacent, I've still got the small trap outside and set, and I'll be setting this one in a few days when it's had time to air out.

Quote:
I agree , bet ya got something else around.

But then again they do love eggs
smile.png

I am suprised ya have not detected an order of it in the area before this ,cause i can always tell ya when one passes close by my place.

I know what you mean about thinking skunks are nocturnal. I came home today at 1PM and I heard my six ladies squawking from their outside perch, so I peek in the coop and there's a possum lookin back at me. Fortunately all my birds are fine, but they're still outside afraid to go in the coop. I placed two birds in the coop and they looked around, but then came back out to perch. I'll have to see if they go in at night.

Back
Top Bottom