Finally... chickens again!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Bellatrixed, Jan 19, 2013.

1. Bellatrixed

Bellatrixed Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2013
    Hello everyone! :)

I have been pouring over this website for a good month now, so I finally decided to make an account and jump into the community!

I am not new to poultry... but it's been 8 or so years since I've owned any, so it all feels new again! I used to have a huge flock of ducks, chickens (standard and bantams) and geese. I loved having them around, but they were so much work, so messy (mostly the waterfowl) and so expensive that I eventually decided to sell them all after about 5 years of waiting on them hand and foot. I regretted it, but it was nice not having to go out in the rain, sleet, and snow to take care of 200 birds! lol

I eat eggs every day and use them in baking constantly, and over the last few months, the pale store-bought egg yolks started grossing me out more and more. I kept remembering how AMAZING and richly colored homegrown eggs were. So... after much hemming and hawing and waiting for various factors to line up, I finally decided to get a little flock of laying hens again this spring.

By little, I mean *little*! Chickens are like potato cihps... can't have just one, and I already sense my grabby hands starting up again as I browse all the breeds lol. But I've decided to limit myself to six for this year. We'll see how that works out...

I'm planning on using a chicken tractor most of the time but also having a stationary coop/yard. I've been having a lot of fun coming up with designs and have gotten a ton of great ideas from this site and these forums already! I'm sure I'll have lots of questions once construction starts and the babies are here.

I decided to get one of each of the following: Welsummer, Speckled Sussex, Salmon Faverolles, Barred Rock, Buff Orpington, and an Easter Egger. I am going to pick them up from a local hatchery (yay for no 25 minimum order!) around February or March, depending on when everything's ready for them. But I'm beside myself with excitement and look forward to participating on this forum. :)

2. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG] [​IMG] from washington state glad you joined us!

3. Bellatrixed

Jan 19, 2013
    Thank you! I'm glad to be here :)

4. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] Due to changing circumstances I had to rehome all my chickens and I couldn't get new ones for another month. I was amazed how much I missed having my feathered kids around! They really get under your skin, don't they? Enjoy your new flock and post pics when they come. A build yourself a big coop, as you said they are like potato chips, you'll probably want more. And with the hatcheries targeting us weak-willed people with their fantastic offers... *sigh*

5. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Bellatrixed, and [​IMG]! Great to have you in our community! I totally agree with you about the eggs - can't eat store bought ones anymore! Enjoy your "six" chickens....or seven...or ten...or ...! Good luck to you!

6. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    [​IMG]Welcome to BYC!!! Glad you joined.

7. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

8. Bellatrixed

Jan 19, 2013
    Thank you tons for the welcomes guys! :) And yes, I plan to post tons of pics once the construction starts and babies come, yay!

Sumi - haha, yeah, I have that exact mindset. I am planning on building a good sized stationary coop and yard that can house a bunch of chickens, but since I only want one tractor this year and want them to spend the majority of their time in the tractor I only want 6. Or maybe 7... I'm already heavily debating getting a Maran, too... so it has begun!

redsoxs - I had a store bought egg this morning and all I could think was "sooooon! I'll never have to buy you again!" with an evil cackle thrown in there somewhere [​IMG]

9. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us. Great breed choices. Congrats on your impending return to chickens [​IMG]

10. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome back to the world of poultry keeping. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by