Finally completed the finishing touches! *Pics*

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by skatcatla, Apr 18, 2008.

1. skatcatla

skatcatla Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2007
    Take a look!
    [​IMG]

And here are some happy girls. I got the chicken trifecta one morning!

[​IMG]

2. 12 Acres

12 Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2008
    Oak Harbor, OH
    Wow! It's beautiful! I love the homey touch of the flower basket beneath the window too. Great job!

3. Jolyn

Jolyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2008
    Northern California
    Very nice!!! I might just steal the flower basket idea for mine!!!!!

4. snowydiamonds

snowydiamonds Chillin' With My Peeps

Wonderful! I like the way it is up high, I'll have to keep that in mind when I work on mine this Spring & Summer.

The only thing I'd change and have in my coop is if the water is down, they scratch whatever is used on the bedding/floor into the water and food, both, so I used a chain to suspend the feed container (holds 14 pounds) and moved the water pail to a shelf that has a heat lamp (am using a red lamp).

In all the pics posted, everyone has theirs down on the floor/bedding but I was changing their water every day along w/the bedding being kicked into their feed as they scratched to their hearts content

I know they prefer to scratch around for their feed, they constantly throw their clean feed onto the ground or bedding to hunt and peck for it:/

5. jenlynn4

jenlynn4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2007
    PA
    I love it! Its darling! Where did you get that vent? I want to put some in my coop that I am building also. I hope I can get one at lowes. You did an awesome job! JEN

6. wynedot55

wynedot55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    man thats a nice lil henhouse an run.

7. Dilly

Dilly Cooped Up

Apr 15, 2008
    What a gorgeous coup. Great job.
    What is the overall size?
    Size of the door opening?
    Size of the nests?
    how many chickens?

Just picking your brain for ideas.

8. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

Lovely and your birds look content. May I ask a question- you have a tarp over your run. Is it otherwise protected with wire to exclude predators?

9. skatcatla

skatcatla Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2007
    Thanks all! I'm really happy with it!

LynneP: Yes, the whole run is encased in hardware cloth. The tarp is just to provide shade and keep it dry (the sprinklers hit it a bit).

Dilly: the henhouse is 4 x 5 x 5. You can't see it in the photo, but one whole side has two doors that open outward barn style. Not sure of the exact dimensions but its most of one side. The nest boxes are 12 x12 by about 14 inches deep. I have four chickens and there is plenty of room. I have photos of the inside on my page.

Jenlynn: All the materials came from Home Depot. The vents are just the inexpensive $1 kind. There is one at each end.

Snowydiamonds: Its hard to tell in the photo but the water is actually raised up a bit on a couple of 2 x 4 pieces. They don't kick hardly anything in there.

Thanks all for looking!

10. okto

okto Out Of The Brooder

Jun 30, 2007
    los angeles
    how big is your run? and how often do you let them free range?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by