1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

FINALLY! Dahlia Lays her First Egg!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by airmom1c05, Jun 3, 2008.

1. airmom1c05

airmom1c05 Songster

Feb 3, 2008
    Raymond, Mississippi
    [​IMG]

I had begun to think she was born without an oviduct! [​IMG] Dahlia is a blue Ameraucana Silkie cross bantam hen.

[​IMG]

I'm so happy she finally laid, and the egg is a very light blue-green color.

Here is a picture for size comparison:

[​IMG]

Both of my Buff Orpintgons are broody, so Dahlia laid this egg under the coop since both nests were occupied. Thankfully, I was able to rake it out without breaking it! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 3, 2008
  2. DouglasPeeps

DouglasPeeps Songster

Feb 26, 2008
    Colorado
    Congratulations!!! [​IMG]

How old is Dahlia?

3. airmom1c05

airmom1c05 Songster

Feb 3, 2008
    Raymond, Mississippi
    Well, that's the problem. I received her in January as a free "Ameraucana" pullet when I bought Pocket and Penny, my Silkie Serama Bantam breeder pair from Dixiebirds.com. I don't know how old she was then. Here is a picture of her that was taken shortly after she arrived.

[​IMG]

I figure at the least she had to be six weeks old in early January. I've been thinking she would lay an egg for the past 7 weeks! I am guessing she is at least 26 weeks old right now. I really had given up on her laying an egg, but I could have never parted with her because she is such a sweetheart ... and she doesn't eat too much. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 3, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: