FINALLY! Dahlia Lays her First Egg!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by airmom1c05, Jun 3, 2008.

1. airmom1c05

airmom1c05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2008
    Raymond, Mississippi
    [​IMG]

I had begun to think she was born without an oviduct! [​IMG] Dahlia is a blue Ameraucana Silkie cross bantam hen.

[​IMG]

I'm so happy she finally laid, and the egg is a very light blue-green color.

Here is a picture for size comparison:

[​IMG]

Both of my Buff Orpintgons are broody, so Dahlia laid this egg under the coop since both nests were occupied. Thankfully, I was able to rake it out without breaking it! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 3, 2008
  2. DouglasPeeps

DouglasPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2008
    Colorado
    Congratulations!!! [​IMG]

How old is Dahlia?

3. airmom1c05

airmom1c05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2008
    Raymond, Mississippi
    Well, that's the problem. I received her in January as a free "Ameraucana" pullet when I bought Pocket and Penny, my Silkie Serama Bantam breeder pair from Dixiebirds.com. I don't know how old she was then. Here is a picture of her that was taken shortly after she arrived.

[​IMG]

I figure at the least she had to be six weeks old in early January. I've been thinking she would lay an egg for the past 7 weeks! I am guessing she is at least 26 weeks old right now. I really had given up on her laying an egg, but I could have never parted with her because she is such a sweetheart ... and she doesn't eat too much. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 3, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by